Bakersfield City School District - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bakersfield, CA
Former Employee - Teacher in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bakersfield City School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. District is supportive of their teachers and uses its resources to help the teachers help the kids learn. One of the best salary schedules in Kern County. My coworkers were helpful and friendly.

Cons

My principal was hard to please. She got me a coach because she didn't like the way I taught and because I was teaching a first/second grade combo and was having a hard time fitting everything in.. The coach and I came up with a good plan, but the principal got mad and told me the coach had no right to tell me how to do things. It was confusing,

Advice to Management

Listen to the teachers to know what kind of support they need to best do their jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Bakersfield City School District

1. "BCSD = great workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at the Bakersfield City School District is that, for once, it is being run by a superintendent who KNOWS education and how to best help our students. He is not scared of hard decisions and he never micro-manages. Overall, the environment is positive and people treat each with respect.

Cons

Being a governmental agency, we are subject to the irresponsible fiscal mis-management of the California state legislature. The district, therefore, doesn't have a reliable budget stream. Also, No Child Left Behind has imposed arbitrary and senseless restrictions on schools and districts with difficult student populations.

A negative aspect of the district itself would be the rigid policies put in place in response to the plague of lawyers who are required to respond to abusive litigation from unions, disgruntled employees and psychotic parents.

Advice to Management

Don't be so afraid. The media and lawyers aren't as powerful as they like to think.

2. "typical school district....all up to the principal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

work with at risk kids where you can make a difference not only educationally, but in their personal lives as well.

Cons

easy to get bumped from school if you don't have a lot of experience, fluctuated student numbers cause increase or decrease in classes...you may have to change grades. I don't like jobs being given for seniority reasons instead of performance reasons....typical of education system.

Advice to Management

kids first...don't worry about whining teachers.