Balfour Beatty - Middle Management Perspective | Glassdoor

"Middle Management Perspective"

Pros

Salaries and benefits are very good and are generally maintained just above the market median.

Internal communications are also an area of focus therefore you are always kept up to date on internal initiatives, successes and changes in company structure.

BBR is continually addressing its safety record and looking for improvements. One of the most proactive companies I have worked for in this field.

If it is a staff position that is of interest, be prepared to commit to over 40 hours per week, particularly if you are assigned to specific projects.

There is a high emphasis on training at all levels with a structured training programme that looks good on the CV!

Cons

1. Internal initiatives are numerous to the extent that they occupy significant resource input drawing attention away from its core business of designing and building rail infrastructure.

2. The company is divided into three divisions with responsibility for domestic markets in the UK, Germany & Italy. Coordination between the three appears nominal at best and the cause of much internal friction.

3. Promotions to key positions are considered with political correctness as well as capability and experience.

Advice to Management

Coordination is required to determine which internal initiatives are priority

Stronger management of the three internal divisions

Avoidance of appointing management positions for political correctness over ability.

Other Employee Reviews for Balfour Beatty

1. "Balfour Beatty Ideal Placement Year Company"

Current Employee - Student Placement Engineer in City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Placement Engineer in City of London, England (UK)

Pros

Great training initatives, good close knit team, support from staff on and off site is great.

During placement year I was really allowed to progress, by the end of the placement I was undertaking a number of big (for placement year) responsibilities. I was intergrated fully into the site team and welcomed from the very begining.

The HR & training teams allowed me to attend serveral training courses I thought would be left until becoming a full time employee, but from earliy on they were investing in my development.
    - week long Site Surveying Course, 4 star hotel paid for, food & travel expenses
    - during placement completed level 3 NVQ allowing progression to Gold CSCS
    - CSCS test and card paid and organised by Balfour Beatty

All work travel expenses paid, which is a huge help when working in london, travel card £300+ a month!!

Good social scene and atmosphere between all areas of the company I came into contact with.

Most importantly I was able to learn a great, great deal during my placement year from the experienced people I was able to work with. Built hugely on the theoretical knowledge from university and lots of opportunities to put it into practice. Whilst working on the project I was considered a full member of the site team, not as 'the uni student' to be kept to simple tasks. I was given as much work as could handle and able to work using my own initative regularily (not constantly checked and monitored) which gave me a great feeling of trust.

Whilst there I had great feed back from the site team, project office team, and the project director on my progress.

It was a great working year and I have recently been offered a graduate position once completing my degree, which I accepted straight away. If you have the opportunity to carry out a placement with Balfour Beatty I would strongly accept it, not just on site though. Through the friends I met at the company also on placements based off site they feel the same way.

Cons

- Due to the nature of the job you may need to work additional hours without overtime, but the salary you recieve takes this into account and any person in a managment position on site needs to accept this.
    - You may get moved about as projects are completed or to where you are needed most, but I like this aspect of the job.

Advice to Management

System of training for placement students very good, but sometimes problems arose with double booking of courses due to communication break down. e.g. Project Director informed training dept. that staff on our site unable to go during busy project period, a month later training dept. book several of us on courses we cannot attend.

2. "Good company, good salary, but..."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

It has an overall good salary, besides, they offer a pension scheme, private medical cover and a travel allowance or company car, depending on the nature of your role. Also, they give you up to 25 days holiday per year.

They also offer you training in your area of work. If you work there as an intern, you are assigned a mentor who is an expert in the area and who guides you during your internship.

Also, the work environment is very comfortable. My time at Balfour Beatty was very pleasant thanks to my work partners. I would say that it was the best part of working there.

Cons

I felt like promotions and better job opportunities were given to people who didn't deserved them. Sometimes my work and my effort would go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Precisely what I just wrote. That they should be a lot more just about job opportunities and promotions.