Bally Total Fitness - A roller coaster ride. | Glassdoor

"A roller coaster ride."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Great local people and management

Cons

Struggling financial company that kept cutting back things that effected members

Other Employee Reviews for Bally Total Fitness

1. "poor"

Pros

possibility to make good money

Cons

push you to do things that are not on your work profiles

Advice to Management

care more for employees

2. "Challenging and fun environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Working in a world class Fitness Club/Spa is pretty much an ideal work environment, and Bally Total Fitness is as big as it gets in this industry. You meet tons of interesting people who want to achieve or maintain fitness goals. If you like exercise, talking about health and nutrition Bally's would be a great place for you. I always enjoyed signing people up and seeing there faces in the gym as they worked on their goals.

You can work out for free, wear athletic clothing to work, meet attractive people and brag about where you work ( people always seem fascinated by this). I had a good General Manager who kept things competitive but rewarding.

Cons

Its a SALES job through and through. If you do not like networking, up-selling, cross selling, generating leads etc then this might not be for you. Numbers are called in multiple times a day to upper management to make sure your facility is on task. Now don't get me wrong, working in a Fitness Club is almost motivation enough to help you make goals etc. But at the end of the day you are expected to generate appointments, leads and convert "walk ins" to members.

Hours vary weekly and they are open on some holidays that other places would typically be off (but keep in mind there are paying members who expect to be able to work out almost anytime).

Advice to Management

Overall I had a good experience with upper management, which could have been contributed to the fact I had a good sales team and we were good performers so that kept any heat off of us.