Bally Total Fitness - Working at Bally | Glassdoor

"Working at Bally"

Former Employee - Trainer in Chesapeake, VA
Former Employee - Trainer in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Bally Total Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got the chance to meet and work with a lot of great people, the customers/clients were also amazing

Cons

Bally as a company is run very poor, managment did not invest money into the clubs yet expected high sales

Advice to Management

Invest money into new equipment

Other Employee Reviews for Bally Total Fitness

1. "Employment was good."

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Bally Total Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many hours 52+, free use of gym, decent benefit package available, opportunities for advancement, working close to personal trainers and getting to meet new people.

Cons

Was part time so benefits came directly out of my check, company is certainly old fashioned, actually was just bought out by L A fitness.

Advice to Management

Cant really say since they are gone.

2. "Great introductory PT opportunity -"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bally Total Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent sales and fitness training for beginning personal trainers.
    - Financial incentives are there to keep building for longer-term Bally's trainers (but see cons)
    - Opportunity to meet and train people from all walks of life
    - Light atmosphere (it is a gym after all)

Cons

- All/most certifications are acceptable by fitness directors leading to variable quality personal training staff
    - Pay structure depends on trainer's "level". You can only increase levels by the number of sessions serviced within a given period of time. Despite being the highest rank at Bally's I was ultimately capped out where I couldn't make more per session. Increasing the pay structure this way also makes it quite awkward for your clients who you are asking to stick with you yet your rate becomes increasingly more expensive. You either settle for charging them below your newly acheived status level or hike up their rates.
    - Company was in a very difficult situation financially which lead to major cutbacks for staff, members and eventually closed down our gym
    - Not necessarily the newest equipment or prettiest looking.
    - Confused management stemming, IMO, from confused company goals and directions.

Advice to Management

Square away your debts and rise up out of bankruptcy through better promotional and marketing strategies through rebranding BTF (when is the last time you saw a Bally's commercial that motivated you?) and internally focus on improving the quality of your employees at all levels.