Baltimore Sun Media Group - Unstable Company | Glassdoor

"Unstable Company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, the pulse of Baltimore; Offered employee incentives, perks: it's an established name in Baltimore

Cons

Unstable, low pay/commissions, manager was difficult to find sometimes and unprofessional, lacked guidance, prices to high for market/economy/state of the newspaper/magazine industry

Advice to Management

Nurture who you have, and invest in them!! Offer competitive salaries/commissions with ATTAINABLE goals

Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group

1. "Nice people."

Former Employee - Freelance in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Freelance in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For a small town, old school newspaper, the pay is pretty good and the people are nice.

Cons

It's a small town, old school newspaper.

Advice to Management

No advice.

"I love my job in media sales!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different and I get to work with lots of fun and interesting people and businesses. Lot's of freedom, as long as I am doing my job, sales managers leave me alone- yet they are available if I need assistance with a problem or a client. Lots of great products to offer customers- products work well and are easy to get passionate about. The new director of retail advertising is great- knows what she is doing and is very motivating and fair. overall pay is good- base salary is a little low ($30's) but commissions are good and I have had some very good months- no cap on commissions. 1st few years made in the $60's now make $85,000 plus.

Cons

Parts of our business are in decline (newspaper) and while we do have a lot of other options to offer our advertisers- You hear it every day "nobody reads the newspaper"... which is far from true- but it's he number one objection. company needs to move more quickly to repackage products to changing times. Training needs to be more focused on actual field experiences- not just reviewing products and who is the best audience for them.

Advice to Management

Get out and meet with customers more. Simplify, simplify, simplify/combine (order process/ communication/marketing). We have so much- it gets overwhelming to sales people and customers. Do some reputation mgmt and promote our brand- geez, we sell that service to our customers- the reviews on this site are obviously people we let go . It is not perfect- but I am happy and would recommend to my friends to work here.