Banana Republic - Pleasant Experience | Glassdoor

"Pleasant Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed building on my skills in visual merchandising, and I always felt supported in my decisions. Banana Republic encouraged my abilities and strengths, so looking back I have a satisfactory feeling toward my time there.

Cons

I don't have much to say along the lines of "cons." Who doesn't want more money? Who doesn't want more responsibility? If I were to return to Banana Republic, I would feel happy doing so.

Advice to Management

Continue embracing new talent and finding ways to utilize everyone's strengths best.

Other Employee Reviews for Banana Republic

1. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gap Inc in general has a great company attitude. They're committed to keeping their employees working for the company and it shows. They provide amazing discounts (50% at Banana, Gap, & Old Navy). Transferring between stores is pretty easy. For the most part they value their employees and let you know how the entire store/ company is doing so it really feels like you have a part in the entire process. It's a pretty team-oriented company. All of your sales, credit card goals, & customer satisfaction scores are store-wide goals, so they don't pressure you personally to meet unrealistic goals. They're pretty lenient - I've been late to work a couple times and they just gave me verbal warnings. They do let people go, but it's pretty predictable - I've never seen someone fired without warning or who didn't deserve it. Their open-door policy is also pretty impressive. They actually listen to you. And the best thing other than their amazing discount is that they promote from within. There are pretty great opportunities to move up in the company and you'll see a lot of people who stay with the company for years.

Cons

The hours are pretty terrible. You go from 30+ hours one week to 12 the next. There have been weeks where I haven't been scheduled at all. It would be almost impossible to hold this as your only job if you're a single person using this as your primary income. For the most part, you don't really get many hours (except maybe for the holidays) because they schedule the mangers to work almost daily. There have been days where the entire store is being run by managers because no associates were scheduled. There are as many managers as there are associates as well, and since they do pretty much everything the associates do in addition to their jobs as managers, they take most of the hours away from associates. Not to mention that associates handle a lot of what most other stores would have their managers take care of. They have associates handle returns & customer complaints - pretty much anything customer service related that other retail stores would have their managers take care of, associates can take care of here. It's nice in that you have the freedom to do just about anything, but you're also not being paid much to handle all of it. The customers are also pretty rude. A lot of them are stuck up and don't want to waste their time with you, which is par for the course for retail. The difference is the amount of returns & go-backs we process each day. I've never worked at a store with as much of a problem with them as Banana. The pay is pretty low, as is to be expected. You start above minimum wage and get a raise at the end of each year, but expect to still be making under $10/hr (probably even under $9/hr when you start). Couple that with the insane hours (I've had 10pm-5am shifts, 5am-9am shifts, you name it. I have been in the store at literally every hour of the day), and it can get somewhat annoying. Most of these cons though apply to just about every retail store, though. So as far as retail goes, this is probably one of the best companies you could work for.

2. "Loved this job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts, fun people, surrounded by good fashion

Cons

Managers pushed quotas a little too hard