Banana Republic - It was fun for a year. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Banana Republic

"It was fun for a year."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about retail in 6 months if you are observant and gain responsibility quickly.

Good discount, although it is not much different than the general publics discounts on a regular/weekly basis.

Cons

Managers forgot to order medium sized shopping bags and sent a part-time employee with a folding cart to walk 6 hilly San Francisco blocks to pick them up from another BR close by. They did not offer to pay for a $5 taxi ride back (let alone there..) They said to pick up 5 boxes (which weighed 30-40 pounds each).

This company likes to promote within, which is a good thing, but they will also give you more responsibility without more pay. After a years worth of learning and probably qualified enough to become a low-level manager, new hires continued to be hired on with higher pay.

Advice to Management

Work on better management and aligning responsibility with pay scales--especially when an employee had asked multiple times and had been blown off. At least have an open conversation and follow up with employees. Do not send employees to fix managerial mistakes! It was fun at first, but that is why your employee turn over is so high.

Other Employee Reviews for Banana Republic

1. "Great company to work for if your going to school."

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are positive and willing to work around your schedule. People you work with seem to uphold the gap code which is treating each other with respect and talking out your problems. A lot of walking involved so there is good exercise when accompanied by a healthy diet. There are a lot of hours to be had if you stick around and your availability is great. Non commission based, other than BRC cards. Clothes are gorgeous and good quality, easy to sell since people love the name, and keep coming back. Not to hard to sell banana cards when there are regular customers who love the product line. Breaks are fair and by law, i feel like a champ after the break. One of the best place I've worked in retail attitude wise. Management does a great job encouraging you to do better, and conducts themselves professionally. My Manager was so good that i want to sell banana cards and clothes to help the store do better. Although management does not approve people call out sometimes and managers seem to be very understanding.

Cons

Great job but making minimum wage hardly can get you by in life, if your wages payed more competitively and allowed for raises it would raise morale overall considering clothes are 90 dollars on average. You have 50% off in the company, but being paid minimum limits your buying opportunity making shopping at your own work place a little bit of predicament, and you must wait for peak sale times to buy something you want for a great price, making shopping at your own workplace, and dressing for the occasion a paradox. Healthy competition is great and now I know why they do not promote commission for clothes sales. I find other workers attempting to steal my customers that i try to sell banana cards, happens on more than one occasion since they give awards for that. You can report them for doing so. So the fault is really on person's moral not on management, guess that's the price of a little healthy competition, no since getting riled up on that since they pay minimum wage. They are very particular on clothing choice, but your are representing their brand. Moving up in the company or getting raises are somewhat difficult since they really only want you making bare minimum. Fallout rate of workers is really high because pay is bare minimum.

Advice to Management

Raise your workers pay and your workers will reward you since it already is a great place to work. If you give your workers a respectable wage, there is only happiness to be had all around. Start advertising to a younger demographic, bringing age groups together is what really can boost profit margin. There has been numerous occasions where kids ask me if there are smaller sizes or a kids section, just as much as the men in the men's section. Advertising to the 30 and above demographic can keep sales down and to a small target audience. Encourage positivism, since it already is a great place to work this should be emphasized to workers which can help with life style change. Workers should be able to get 50% off everything, even sale items. For the wage you pay you can't really expect someone to buy 50 - 100 dollar clothing on minimum wage even after the 50% off. I find myself not buying anything and waiting for the right time to buy in sale because of this. It kind of creates a paradox when you see things you like in your own store but you still have to pay $50 for a shirt. this paradox doesn't allow me to represent the company well, when i can't even wear the clothes. I end up shopping elsewhere making it kind of funny when people ask me where is this item you are wearing and how much is it? When what im wearing comes from Kohl's, target, or Ross. Keep the gap code going. I find workers at my job are quite content because of the attitude there, most everyone says if the pay was better than this would be a great great job.

2. "Great part-time work environment."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount is one of the best in the retail world. Flexible with hours, and great management team. I've worked with Gap Inc in two states and I have always enjoyed my experience.

Cons

It's retail, so the hours can be a little rough and being a Sales Associate can be a bit restrictive with the pay. Upward mobility can be a little vague so be as upfront as possible to understand how to move up from being a Sales Associate.

Advice to Management

Return the focus to clothing and experience sales instead of credit cards.