Banfield Pet Hospital - Great starter career, not long term. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

"Great starter career, not long term."

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great starter career. They work to cross train most associates to give them well rounded resumes and skill sets. The company also attempts a "2 year plan" Ideally they would like associates to move up in the company within two years. Great overall vision for pet health care. Generally good benefits.

Cons

Not ideal for non mobile associates. If you can move out of state when needed you can move up quickly. They typically hire non veterinary associates to run the hospitals, leaving staff wanting for better support and management. Not a good work/life balance. The company believes if associates are not available 7-7-7 they are not ideal full time associates. Pay is so-so. Not ideal for long term career. If you work in the corporate office, life is great, in the field not so much. No unions to protect associates. You can be demoted without question.

Advice to Management

Listen to associates in the field! Hire associates with veterinary experience to lead the hospitals!! Extend the same work/life balance offered to corporate associates at CTS to hospital associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

1. "Training and experience, but nothing more"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They train on the job. It is great for people who want to get veterinary experience, but don't know where to start.
    At my location the doctors are amazing. When I started we had a doctor that wasn't very pleasant to work with, but he was transferred and we received two amazing doctors in return.
    Everyone at my hospital (for the most part) really seems to care about the pets, the care they receive, and the clients.

Cons

The pay is abysmal. Get your training here and then jump ship to a private clinic. You'll be paid A LOT more.
    Managers don't really listen. At all.
    The hours are terrible. I've spoken to my managers about the stress of working six days in a row or every Sunday (we're the only open vet. hospital in the area on Sunday...lots of emergencies), but week after week I'm scheduled this way. I've resorted to just putting if day-off requests for whole weekends so I can get a break. Also, I rarely leave when I'm supposed to.
    They overwork you, but refuse to allow you to go into overtime. They make you take long lunches and send you home early to the detriment of the people left at the hospital.
    I could go on...there are a lot.

Advice to Management

I know your main focus is making money, but you need to pay attention to your paraprofessionals. We are the reason you make any money at all.

"Overall a good company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large scale corporation of veterinary hospitals. Many hospitals equipped with state of the art equipment. Continued education encouraged, sometimes compensated. Flexible scheduling. Opportunity for growth professionally. Linked computers, customers can travel with their healthcare packages and have medical history transferred.

Cons

Pressure to upsell. The bad reputation Banfield gets from clients of "nickel and diming" customers is from pressure from management.