Banfield Pet Hospital - Depends on location. | Glassdoor

"Depends on location."

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant
Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Affordable veterinary care for customers, great training opportunities (especially for less experienced techs), decent salary, typically flexible schedule, and the facilities are typically nice ones with nice equipment to work with. They also have the "Banfield Learning Center" online, which has lessons on any basics you may not have learned or picked up in tech school.

Cons

You have to treat each Banfield like an individual hospital. At some locations, the doctors are very underqualified/undertrained and so are the techs, making the quality of medicine poor. At other locations, everyone's amazing and the quality of medicine is great! I filled in at several branches and my experience was VERY different depending on which branch I was at. One of the biggest downsides is that since the corporationg is very profit driven, some doctors are forced to see more appointments than they want to, and if a doctor is a top-earned, nothing they do is ever wrong in the company's eyes. Be ready to tolerate the craziness.

Advice to Management

Your vets (especially the ones just out of school) need WAY more training/mentorship. On more than one occassion I have seen silly, stupid mistakes that no vet should ever make (not staying sterile during surgery, not setting up a fluid line correctly, misdosing).

Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is very focused on professional development, providing support and is growing, so the opportunity to promote or move into another area of interest is very great. I enjoy my team as we're all very experienced professionals and excited about what we do. It's an open, collaborative environment with the opportunity to really be able to make a direct impact the to business and it's vision/goals.

Cons

It's a big organization that's very complex and can be somewhat difficult to navigate at times. It can take some time to learn, but once you get it down, you're golden!

2. "Very Satisfied"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot, great work environment

Cons

Poor organization at times, not for someone who isn't a proactive self starter, able and willing to work with minimal direction and training.

Advice to Management

Offer more training to employees