Bank of America - They succeed despite themselves | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

"They succeed despite themselves"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When it was MBNA, it was a great company that I was proud to work for. All "MBNA" associates are strong and have good leadership skills. Pay is good if you worked for MBNA prior to the merger.

Cons

There is no opportunity for growth unless you know someone. Communication and education is useless. The company should be concerned about the growth of the company but the employees are why the company succeeds and very little emphasis is placed on acknowledging the employees and rewarding them for their success. It is a 72 Billion revenue company and they are laying 16k people off, seriously? People have gone above and beyond what was expected. Remember, do more with less, we hear that constantly. Their is so much tension in the air. People are afraid everyday they will get tapped next. There are too many departments that have weak leadership mainly because they are worrying about saving their jobs vs. building career paths or demonstrating good work ethics for their people. It is getting worse each year that goes by. The pay and benefits are the only reason 95% of the people stay. Such a sad place. It is a shame more MBNA leaders didn't stay on board. BOA senior management all the way down to line managers could have learned from them and seen what a true strong leadership team was. They could have learned alot from them.

Advice to Management

How about taking away some of the higher salaries the senior leadership currently brings home so you can keep the 16k you are laying off. They have families too. Remember the people who work 10 plus hours a day to ensure goals are achieved before you pat them on the back and tell them you will help find them a job in 60 days. Your personnel team assisting with severance packages have no sense of urgency. I have seen first hand at their assistance from fellow peers. You have to find the job yourself. Most of these people committed 20 plus years and hit their goals just to have to find another job. I have worked there 20+ years and honestly do not know anyone who truly likes to work there anymore. They are just afraid to say it, they need to feed their families. I wish Bank of America never bought out MBNA. That was a company I was proud to say I worked for not this joke.

Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America

1. "Good experience."

Former Employee - Teller in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits such as tuition reimbursement and paid time off. Lots of training involved.

Cons

There was lots of turnover in the retail side. Have to deal with the typical unreasonable customers.

2. "They were scared of the market"

Former Employee - Trust Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trust Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They paid decently and had an ok vision. They stopped selling our product because of the risk it involved

Cons

They were affraid of the market after recession. There wasnt much of a future with the company because of the recession.

Advice to Management

communicate more clearly