Bank of America - Opportunity to learn and grow. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

"Opportunity to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Bank of America offers opportunities for personal and professional growth while fostering mentorship. Bank of America is a world class organization.

Cons

If you start in an entry level position it can be a challenge to work up to a comparable salary when compared with other employers.

Advice to Management

Do the Right Thing for your associates salarywise in order to allow them to live a quality of life you would be okay with living.

Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America

1. "Manage Small Business customers"

Current Employee - Small Business Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Small Business Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

It is a large bank with many thing you can offer clients
    Working in Manhattan you are able to meat a lot of the senior management team
    Wide range of clients so you get experience working with many different types of businesses

Cons

very political if you want to move to different parts of the business within the company
    Big company with lot's of levels of sales and service teams so it can be a challenge to get what you need at anyone time

Advice to Management

maintain a clear line of sight with the banking center channel because it is a large revenue generator for the company and when resources are taken they are taken from this channel. It is the first impression of the company and needs the best resources.

"Tough to get promoted in Operations Technology"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

- lots of change taking place so there are opportunities for interesting projects
    - flexibility to work from home when necessary
    - generally hardworking people
    - try to show employee appreciation (though sometimes comes off as forced)

Cons

- As a former Merrill Lynch employee, I was disappointed to see that Bank of America has even LESS of a tuition reimbursement program. While ML covered $8k per calendar year, BAC covers just over $5k. Given an MBA program at a top school can run you at least $80k (mine is $120k) this is hardly putting a dent in my payments.
    - HR policy of "you need to be in your position for at least 2 years before eligible for a promotion" really stifles young employees growth. Unless you have a manager really willing to fight for you, if you would like to fast track your career, there is little opportunity to do so. My first year out of college I was given the speech that I had to wait another year for promotion due to HR policy- eventhough I was deemed "ready"- this was for my promotion from Senior Specialist to AVP. Next time around I did get AVP, and a year later I was doing the job of an incompetent VP who was on his way out the door. Instead of promoting me, I was again told "we tried, but you need to be in your slot for 2 years." This was ultimately when I decided to move, as I realized I could get twice as far in another company much sooner.
    - It is also worth mentioning that most people in the department have been there 15-25 years so little value is placed on fresh, young, new opinions.

Advice to Management

Don't let pockets of the company become dinosaurs as once everyone retires, there will be few people with the knowledge required to keep things running. It is very discouraging for young people to feel they will have a 13 year wait to become a director if they end up in a department with some tenured employees that are not necessarily better workers than they are.