Bankers Life - You reap what you sow. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life
There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life

See Most Recent

Helpful (1)

"You reap what you sow."

StarStarStarStarStar
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Brentwood, TN
Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Brentwood, TN
Recommends
No opinion of CEO

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Friendly work environment. Management communicates thoroughly. Go over changes everyday over new or old material. Can be promoted to management if your good at it.

Cons

A lot of product material to go over. If you never worked on commission before its a an eye opener because you can go broke quick. Once you quit, friends you thought you had, stop communicating with you.

Advice to Management

Good at communicating with employees but its very difficult trying to get a hold of them outside of the office.

Other Employee Reviews for Bankers Life

  1. Helpful (4)

    "Not for everyone"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Doesn't Recommend
    Disapproves of CEO

    Pros

    Great training. Work hard and you will get promoted but you have to buy in to their philosophy once you are.

    Cons

    Recruiters tell you everything but the truth during the recruitment process. Be willing and able to support yourself for at least 3 months.

    Advice to Management

    Be honest to recruits and make sure you hire reps that know what they are getting in to. Do not promote producers so quickly


  2. Helpful (19)

    "Not the most honest company in the world"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sarasota, FL
    Doesn't Recommend
    No opinion of CEO

    Pros

    There are great opportunities to make very good money. The newer agents that have not been overcome by competition factor and have not expanded their moral boundaries are decent people.

    Cons

    My experience with Bankers Life is limited to the Sarasota complex 2025. The comment in the “pros” section is true, but the steps to make money is limited to only a very few people. The turnover rate at bankers is over 90%, which translated - out of every 10 new agents only 1 agents will remain with the company for period longer than 3 months. The odds are very slim that someone who enters Bankers with high hopes will make good money, or any money at all.

    What they don’t tell you.

    1. A new agent will need at least 6 months of saved income to support themselves until they get through their training period where they can start making income that is not shared with senior agents.

    2. You will have to cold call leads that are outdated and angry. Or you can buy leads, and they are not cheap (the route I took). To be a good cold caller, you have to become someone you once hated and hung up on.

    3. If you do make a few dollars, and then decide that you cannot make it (remember the 90%), be prepared to pay some or most of that money back because people do cancel their accounts. What keeps agents above water is the relentless signing of new accounts. Many are stuck because of this.

    4. I left after 4 months with an estimated commissions owed to me of over 3000. I only received 57% of the total before I resigned. With the threat of damaging my credit rating I was forced to pay back 74% of the 57% I received because of canceled or lapsed accounts in the short period of a few months. I never received the other 43% owed to me because I resigned. All this was while I was under a trainer and I had not control over the information given to these poor people.

    5. To make money at Bankers (Sarasota) you have to expand your moral boundaries. You will be trained to tell little-white-lies to our senior citizens (nicknamed – telling the truth to your advantage). Remember, many of these people can barely pay rent and buy food, and now they are faced with another burden of insurance, and in many cases a policy they do not need or can afford. Just think you can be part of this!

    Advice to Management

    Purge your management staff with some good honest hard working folks.

There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life
There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life

See Most Recent

Work at Bankers Life? Share Your Experiences

Bankers Life
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
 
Click to Rate
or