Banner Health - One bad manager = Good luck ever working for Banner again | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health

"One bad manager = Good luck ever working for Banner again"

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with great interdisciplinary team and Banner supported evidence-based practice and the best for it's patients

Cons

My manager was allowing unethical behavior. I followed the chain of command, and I went to her first. She denied the indiscretion and accused me of not liking the offending party. She then had me brought to the director. The director had no clinical knowledge, and trusting his manager, supported her. Yet, policies changed the same week. I went from getting employee of the month for the dept and for the hospital and having a great personal file for several years to getting written up for any and everything imaginable for several months. The manager even scolded me by phone after sitting next to me in my office for over an hour. I told HR of my concerns at my exit interview, but Banner HR protects Banner, not the employee. What this manager did to me, I saw a pattern from what she did to a previous employee. I only wish I had seen it the first time. I can't help that employee now. She brought in a lawyer and settled. How is this Banner Health's fault? HR should have cleaned up this manager's mess.

Advice to Management

Look at the whole picture, all the way back to the beginning. Rather than covering up to avoid looking bad when a manager does something wrong, own it, make it right, and move on. You'll keep good employees and get rid of unethical managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Banner Health

"great coworkers"

I have been working at Banner Health full-time

Pros

tremendous teamwork and usually adequate staffing. health insurance is inexpensive and very good coverage. clean, safe working environment.

Cons

bad pay with no to minimal raises. 2% cut of night shift diff. no weekend diff. mgmt receives a lot of pressure from upper mgmt. environment seems more punitive than supportive in nature.

Advice to Management

increase salaries or give bonuses so staff doesn't have to leave to make more money. invest in your staff and they will stay and you will save money by not having to utilize travel and registry nurses.

"Big company benefits in small town setting"

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Proactive middle managers, annual raises (most years), comprehensive benefit package, lots of unwritten perks

Cons

Having to use products contracted for at higher levels that obviously never were tested or compared to better ideas that are available on the market - referring specifically to their EMR choice.

Advice to Management

Remember who the true profit generators in healthcare are: the providers and staff who interact with the patients. Don't waste money by constantly sending leadership to seminars, don't isolate leaders by keeping them from getting in the trenches, and stop arbitrarily setting goals that have nothing to do with patient safety or positive outcomes.