Barclays - It was a great learning experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barclays

"It was a great learning experience"

Former Intern - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
Former Intern - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Treat interns with respect. Give real, challenging work. One of the better employers in the industry

Cons

Tough work environment. Stressful and rigorous work. Stay only if IB suits you.

Other Employee Reviews for Barclays

1. "Summer Intern - Client Coverage (Corporate Bank)"

Current Intern - Client Coverage Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Client Coverage Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture: Everyone is very willing to help and network with you. The projects I have been asked to do are both interesting and, I believe, of relative value to the firm. You aren't just asked to menial work, the opportunity to learn certainly exists. Though I will caveat that by saying the internship is what you make of it. If you are willing to ask for more challenging work, it will come.

The work-life balance is very good. If you are interested in getting into banking but at the same time are concerned about early starts and late nights, the corporate side may be for you. Its much more of a "stay if you need to" type atmosphere; you'll be expected to do the work to a high quality, but provided that you are doing so, you have relative autonomy over the hours that you need to spend in the office. Though as an intern it would be advisable not to get in at nine and leave at five every day.

The full time staff are also of a very high quality, and its possible to learn a lot from them

In my experience the culture change at Barclays is not just lip service. The staff here take it very seriously and are committed to changing the perception of Barclays, but also are actively motivated to undertake charitable commitments.

Cons

The salary is not great (internship and grad scheme); it seems to pay below market rates.

From what I understand the four areas of Barclays are still very sectioned. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of opportunity to move to other areas of the bank (investment/wealth/retail). Definitely not on the graduate scheme, though it seems rare in wider employment also.

2. "Blocked from progress because of race"

Current Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good on your CV
    Work life balance is fine in my area

Cons

Currently short-staffed. For the past month 2 of us doing what 5 people normally did. There have been instances where I have been the only person on the desk.
    There is still a glass ceiling for blacks. People get blocked multiple times from promotions..not even allowed to interview, or have to watch less talented relatives of long-serving staff members move up above them.
    Pay is very low in my area of corporate banking compared to the market...cases where people on graduate programme getting almost double what people with 20 yrs experience who train them get.
    Bullying culture is allowed to thrive by a network of lifers determined to slow the progress of those around them in line with their whims and fancies. They have contacts everywhere (HR are not confidential) so you either have to make your mind up to go to tribunal or straight to the top, threatening publicity. I have seen at least a dozen people bullied out of the business in my time here.

Advice to Management

If you are really serious about changing the culture tackle the bullying and targetting still prevalent in the corporate bank.