Bardel Entertainment - Get Some Experience, Then Get Out | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Get Some Experience, Then Get Out"

Pros

-Studio has a fairly consistent stream of incoming projects to potentially join, and some are really desirable

-Some great people; super hard-working, talented, and friendly

-Studio's putting in effort to create positive company culture/community through events and such

-My first project was a good learning experience; the second was quite tough, but I learned a lot through it

-Some opportunities to potentially advance through leadership tracks if you'd fit those types of roles

Cons

Summary: There's a word a lot of Bardel employees associate with the studio but are scared to say out loud...sweatshop.

-The culture the company's trying hard to create and project contrasts the reality, which is that employees are too overworked to take part in any of the fun community-building stuff. I would've loved to partake in it, but I was too busy putting in tons of unpaid overtime to meet unreasonable expectations for a tiny paycheck.

-Experiences can vary REALLY wildly depending on your project/team. On my first project, expectations and deadlines were reasonable, I almost never worked overtime, and I made a small but livable wage. Second project we were all burning out fast trying to hit insane standards and making barely a livable wage in such an expensive city. Some of my friends were on projects so easy that they were bored out of their minds; others worked every single weekend for no extra pay and it was entirely expected of them to do so.

-Unpaid overtime was presented as our own issue that we had the power to control; if we didn't want to work nights and weekends, we just had to magically work faster and better and be more organized, even if we were already doing those things to the best of our abilities. As if it had nothing to do with the studio leadership and the client.

-Same thing as above applied to a quota-based paycheck; management acknowledged that the "base pay" that we were guaranteed every week for hitting quota was not a professional salary, and that it was up to us to go above quota enough to make a decent amount of money. That's okay when going above quota is actually doable, but for some projects, it's just not. Especially since footage-based pay and deadlines didn't adjust to different difficulty levels of scenes.

-Studio is not set up to be conducive to socialization at all. The old Beatty Street location was, since it wasn't too huge and had a big common area for lunch and special events, but the way West 3rd is set up, it's hard to naturally have interactions with your coworkers.

-You may have to work completely in the dark. Beatty was in a basement, and the first floor of West 3rd is like a big warehouse space with only windows in one little section. No natural light, plus they keep it dark for the 3D lighting teams, which should just have their own dark space to work in.

-Low-key sexism which is kind of inescapable in this industry, but there was a certain degree of bro-y culture which definitely favored male employees and gave them more opportunities to rise through the ranks.

Advice to Management

People know this studio's reputation, and it's not a positive one. Address that. Address the actual core issues in the company's culture and management and treatment of employees instead of surface-level stuff. It seems like the studio doesn't care about its high burnout and employee turnover rate because there will always be eager, young artists willing to put up with poor working conditions to get their resumes started. But you shouldn't rely on that; it's going to keep this bad reputation growing, and eventually artists will just stay away.

Focus on fixing core values, abolish the punitive, awful quota system, treat your employees like people, and put those funds pouring in from big-name projects into areas that actually need them.

Bardel Entertainment Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you so much for this review! Honestly! It is so helpful to know what your experience has been and to see the areas that are opportunities for us to grow as a studio. We hear you. We do care... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Review"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment as a contractor

Pros

Great people. Current project leads are great. I have heard cons on other projects but haven't personally experienced them.

Cons

Passive aggressive OT requests. Don't pay OT.

2. "Solid studio"

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time

Pros

good projects and great people

Cons

clear direction from top is lacking

Discover more reviews about Bardel Entertainment.