Barnardo's - Worst company I have ever worked for! | Glassdoor

"Worst company I have ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with lovely volunteers. The day to day work is very varied.

Cons

Where do I start? The shop is open from 9-5.30 but you only get paid for 7 hours!!! I once worked from 12-5.30 and was told I could only get paid for 4,5 hours!!! You are supposed to get an hour lunch break but 9 times out of 10 you can't have a break because there is no one to cover the shop. Lots and lots of lone working. When your manager goes on the sick or you have annual holidays booked you have to ring around all of the shops and arrange your own cover. Theres been times I've had to cancel holidays and other times where I've had to work for up to two weeks without a day off because there is no one to cover. During my time with the company 3 store associates applied for manager jobs and got turned down! The company doesn't value career progression!

Advice to Management

Pay the staff for the hours they work! It's breaking the law if you don't! Extend your basis and values to the staff! The shops need more paid staff, not less! Stop putting all that pressure on the managers. Appreciate that your store associates are your future managers and don't force good store associates out of the company by denying them the opportunities to progress.

Barnardo's2019-10-01

"Great Causes"

I worked at Barnardo's full-time

Pros

An organization focused on the future. In a corporate transition and hoping to add value to the families, young people and children they support.

Cons

Emotional, tiring work for those who are passionate about serving a social cause.

Advice to Management

Technology is the future and a key to ensure Barnardo's stays relevant and connected to the people in supports in an ever-changing world.

Barnardo's2017-12-13
  2. "Great people, but sometimes frustrating"

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing staff with big hearts who really care about the work they're doing. Felt personally supported.

Cons

Senior leadership sometimes clash with each other creating semi-dysfunction. Didn't feel supported work-wise in my department.

Advice to Management

Would be great if the leadership team could work better together and agree on priorities instead of fighting for their own departments.

Barnardo's2018-07-05

Discover more reviews about Barnardo's.