Barnes & Noble College Bookstores - Racist Sexists with a knack for nepotism | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

"Racist Sexists with a knack for nepotism"

Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT
Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of the best people working at B&N College. Smart, friendly, intelligent people who I hope to keep in contact with. It was great to be selling a great product (books). Some management was great.

Cons

Some of the management had serious women hating and racist tendencies. I complained about this to the upper management (as a non-minority, non-female employee who was committed to keeping the workplace a safe environment). And because of my complaints, I was retaliated against. They effectively demoted me (a common tactic at this bookstore as it has happened to others), and constantly complained about my performance, which up until that point I was given stellar remarks. When HR in their home office was called, they failed at affecting any change. With 10 years of experience in a retail setting, I have never seen a store with such poor store management.

Advice to Management

I could not suggest anything other than early retirement.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

1. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good way to work on my Organizational, Communication and Social skills. A excellent opportunity to work in the Retail area.

Cons

I don't have any problems.

"Disappointing, no career advancement opportunities, low salary, untrustworthy senior management"

Former Employee - Store Operations in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Operations in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

colleagues and hard working co-workers

Cons

no career advancement, limited opportunities, vague future vision for company, untrustworthy upper management, no team work or support from upper management, lack of true leadership

Advice to Management

Your losing good people because of the lack of concentration to keep hard working employees happy and fulfilled. Take a page from top companies like Google, Bain, etc.