Barnes & Noble - Very hectic, low pay, awesome people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Very hectic, low pay, awesome people"

Current Employee - Barista
Current Employee - Barista

Pros

The people who work here are great. Management is helpful and patient; fellow employees are fun, and most cutomers are really chill.

Cons

Baristas here are worth so much more than minimum wage. It's extremely fast paced, and trust me, they deserve every penny.

Advice to Management

Please give us higher pay and more time off. Everybody is completely drained after just four hours of work, and more pay raises are deserved by everyone.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Not Bad for Part Time"

Former Employee - Receiver
    Former Employee - Receiver

Pros

I only worked part time for a few months before finding a full time job elsewhere, but overall it was a good work environment. I like staying busy at work and in the receiving department, you will stay busy. There are lots of incoming and outgoing orders, so you will always have work to do. Fellow employees were courteous and enjoyable to work with. If you are bibliophile, working in a bookstore is obviously a big plus and the employee discount is nice. It seemed like if you were competent and hardworking, there was a good opportunity to move up.

Cons

Typically, B&N doesn't like employees to have more than 35+ hours a week, because that's when health benefits kick in.

Advice to Management

I only worked at B&N for a few months before moving onto a full-time job elsewhere, but my interactions with Management was positive. Management seemed to do a good job of keeping employees informed about expectations and new policies being implemented.

"Nice employees and mgmt (for the most part), flexible hours, bad pay"

Pros

- Friendliest team of coworkers and management I've ever worked with
    - Engaging work, always something to do
    - Knowledgeable managers
    - Nice discount
    - Customers are generally friendly and understanding

Cons

- Head manager is relatively new to the store, but already is somewhat abusive to employees and customers, isn't knowledgeable, and pressures us to sell Memberships and capture emails (IE berate the customer with annoying questions). When we do sell, we don't receive praise.
    - Pressure to sell memberships that are NOT a good deal, and the customer can tell.
    - Even with prior work experience, I'm getting paid barely above minimum wage

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to who is chosen for management and their performance