Barnes & Noble - Way too stressful for a part-time job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Way too stressful for a part-time job"

Former Employee - Barista, Cashier, Bookseller, Nookseller in Riverside, CA
Former Employee - Barista, Cashier, Bookseller, Nookseller in Riverside, CA

Pros

- friendly co-workers
- discounts on books and cafe!
- great experience for retail and food
- paid every Friday !

Cons

- managers overworked their employees
-There is no room for growth opportunities to move up
- seniors play favorites
- customers are sometimes not treated respectfully
- managers don't listen to their employees
- stressful
- lack of respect
- only hire girls

Advice to Management

Managers place a very high expectations on their employees--making them work hard for less pay. Employees make mistakes too, we're not perfect, but we should not be constantly reminded of our mistakes, and not recognize all the hard work and effort. There is a huge lack of respect in employees from their managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Company is getting worse"

Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Cleveland, OH

Pros

They have good medical and dental benefits if you can get them. Only leads and Managers have access to the benefits now. I had up to a month paid vacation. Although I worked there for several years to earn that time off. They do promote from within, but depending on the position, it's usually a lot more work, for a very small pay increase. Very small.
    My fellow booksellers and management team were great. All the managers except for my GM were promoted from within. So you can advance if want to make a career there.
    Like most retail stores, it's a clean, comfortable place to work, casual dress, and you will get a 25 cent raise every year, as long as you have a pulse.

Cons

Nook Nook Nook. That's all they care about. Which is understandable, because without it, Barnes and Noble would've gone the way of Borders. The problem is, the more Nooks you sell, the more issues you will have with them.
     I was a bookseller for 15 years. Then overnight I was turned into Nook Technical Support. Which I thought I wouldn't mind because I consider myself a tech savvy person. However, Barnes & Noble provides NO training on how to deal with Nook issues! None! Zero! No tools, no manuals, no even full internet access to help these moronic customers who can't remember their passwords. And that's what you'll be dealing with everyday!
    I would say 85% of the problems were user related. Either account issues, password issues, or library book questions. My store had 3 (self taught) employees that could successfully deal with the Nook issues. And we almost always worked opposite shifts. Totally frustrating and stressful for one person to have to deal with all the Tech problems.

This job is really for students or retirees now. There are NO full-time bookseller positions. If you're not a lead or management, expect to work 10 to 20 hours a week for just over minimum wage. And you better know the Nook if you plan on working there.

Advice to Management

Either create a Nook Squad that only deals with nook issues, or at least give us full internet access to help these clueless customers change their passwords that they forgot.

"Enjoyable work environment, but had problems"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Irving, TX

Pros

Great environment, good co-workers, recognition for hard work done, potential advancement

Cons

Poor pay and hours. If you want to advance you have to "climb" the ladder, no skipping positions.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to skip positions in advancement. I would make a terrible Head Cashier, but a great salesfloor lead.