Barnes & Noble - Out of five years we had 4 different store managers. The last one got fired for stealing and that's when I had enough. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Out of five years we had 4 different store managers. The last one got fired for stealing and that's when I had enough."

Former Employee - Bookseller
Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you build a relationship with other workers it can be fun if the management allows it.
Good Benefits

Cons

Low pay low pay
No chance for advancement
On the retail level, most of the Managers are English majors. No thought for making money or success.
Management follows a book
Workers are not free to come up with ideas

Advice to Management

I would start looking for managers that are more business minded. When you have an employee that worked there since he was 16 and is going to school for business he should have opportunities. Not to mention corporate recognition and taking over receiving managers job for four months. Not a smart company.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "Very hectic, low pay, awesome people"

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

Pros

The people who work here are great. Management is helpful and patient; fellow employees are fun, and most cutomers are really chill.

Cons

Baristas here are worth so much more than minimum wage. It's extremely fast paced, and trust me, they deserve every penny.

Advice to Management

Please give us higher pay and more time off. Everybody is completely drained after just four hours of work, and more pay raises are deserved by everyone.

"Not Bad for Part Time"

Former Employee - Receiver
    Former Employee - Receiver

Pros

I only worked part time for a few months before finding a full time job elsewhere, but overall it was a good work environment. I like staying busy at work and in the receiving department, you will stay busy. There are lots of incoming and outgoing orders, so you will always have work to do. Fellow employees were courteous and enjoyable to work with. If you are bibliophile, working in a bookstore is obviously a big plus and the employee discount is nice. It seemed like if you were competent and hardworking, there was a good opportunity to move up.

Cons

Typically, B&N doesn't like employees to have more than 35+ hours a week, because that's when health benefits kick in.

Advice to Management

I only worked at B&N for a few months before moving onto a full-time job elsewhere, but my interactions with Management was positive. Management seemed to do a good job of keeping employees informed about expectations and new policies being implemented.