Barnes & Noble - Room To Grow | Glassdoor

"Room To Grow"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, challenging, exciting place to work. Expand your horizons and make your way with the largest bookstore in America. You can grow at your own pace and be just what you want to be here.

Cons

Although there are many jobs and places to go the company is not expanding as fast as it once was. There is not as many upper management placements as there are people.

Advice to Management

More automation.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Would not recommend."

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

I loved my job... it was creative and fun. The management made it unbearable.

Cons

The company retains management that have no people skills as long as they bring in the numbers rather than try and keep valuable employees. I worked for an abusive manager along with my team for years and HR was aware of it. Haven't we learned anything... abusive behavior and bullying should not be tolerated in any work place today! This type of behavior only creates more bad managers.

"Great Company to Work but New Business Strategies Suck"

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Management is generally great
    -General public looks highly on book store employees
    -Personally satisfying job
    -Fun work environment

Cons

-Your biggest competitor is the BN website (e.g. signs in store that suggest to customers that they should shop online instead, cheaper books online which makes customers upset about in-store prices, the Nook discourages people from buying books in stores and stores do not recieve credit for ebooks purchased on devices they sold, discounts on memberships online make it harder to reach membership selling goals, and the discount given online is often just as good or better than the employee discount of 30%)
    -The stores are downsizing the book volume to add a bunch of toys, games, and electronic devices that are slowly transforming them into Walmartesque stores rather than traditional bookshops.
    -Nook sales quotas are often unreachable
    -Budget problems occasionally force to stores to work with bare-bones crews which isn't usually a huge deal if you're one of the harder, more efficient workers but can affect newer employees.
    -As with most book stores, the pay isn't great.

Advice to Management

Dear William Lynch and Others,
    The book industry is unline any other retail industry because you are selling a culture not just products. The push to online shopping is hurting your employees and stores while upsetting a lot of your long term customers. Please do not run the stores into the ground by setting rediculously high quotas on products (Nooks) that will eventually put your employees out of a job and making the benefits of shopping online so much greater than the stores that people stop buying member cards and books from us.