Barnes & Noble - Not challenging; a lot of temps | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Not challenging; a lot of temps"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks/sodas/refreshments, etc. stocked daily
Great location in Chelsea (across Chelsea Market, High Line, shops, etc.)
Casual office attire
Office parties for holidays etc
Summer Fridays

Cons

I added the extra star because of the above pros. Otherwise, bn seems to not be doing well, as in since I've been there, there have been major layoffs throughout, at least in 2 major waves. Full-timers I used to see daily in the past are gone. Red flag. Departments are virtually empty most of the week. Red flag. Many seem bored there/lack energy. Red flag. Personally, I'm in a department made up of temps, except managers/supervisor titles. No room for growth, making the same $ for 2 yrs, no reward system. Red flag.

Advice to Management

Long-term temps should see some kind of pay raise after loyally working there for so long. They stay to make 40 hours a week, and although they have the option for Summer Fridays/ half-day, they don't get paid for those hours like full-time employees (of course because they're temp). But there are temps that have been w/ bn for 3+ years and still get paid the same, etc. Even $1 raise after a certain amount of time spent at bn would help enough that maybe, things would balance out a little more and loyal long term temps could actually enjoy Summer Fridays.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care about your future and give you many ways to grow inside the company.

Cons

Hesitant to hire regional managers and above from inside the company.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a chance to grow further than just inside your store locations.

"Don't Get Too Comfortable"

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, some fun in-store events, good about taking breaks, exposure to great literature. Good for short-term employment.

Cons

No real upward mobility, Very high turnover, Pushy sales tactics with every transaction ( $25 membership, e-reader, donations to book drives, etc.) You will be forced to ask these sales questions and exasperate yourself and customers, Miserable store management (I've seen several cry and many quit), Very little appreciation for dedicated work, Always very short-staffed to save money. You cannot maintain focus on a task because you are constantly pulled to other areas of the store to cover for the lack of employees. If being a bookseller is what you want, avoid being trained in the Cafe. Once you are, you will find it hard to escape being repeatedly pulled there to help. Overall, I didn't have a horrible experience here but it was a complete waste of several years of my working life. My advice is: Don't get too comfortable here unless you are ready to be very unhappy.

Advice to Management

Careful scheduling seems to be a key part of how well your store runs. Without it, everyone is stressed. Be kind and employees will work hard for you. Don't take your job too seriously. You work in a book store, not the White House.