Barnes & Noble - Challenging, yet rewarding. | Glassdoor

"Challenging, yet rewarding."

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic, as well as the book loan program. An employee is compensated well for their work (i.e., appropriate break times, lunch breaks, etc.). Working around books is incredibly fun for any bibliophile, and it keeps me brushed up on my literature, as well as inspired me to go home and do more research about different authors and novels. Helping adults and children maintain a healthy relationship with books and reading is important for our society, and it's nice to be a part of that process.

Cons

There seems to be difficulty with management--not enough leeway in the right places and too much in others. There also seems to be a considerable amount of drama--as I'm sure is in any workplace. The pay is a bit low for what is expected of basic booksellers, especially those that are good at what they do. If you do well at your job, you're given more responsibility, while others that are (under assumption) making the same pay as you, are not required anything more than the basic bookseller duties. Also, because of cutbacks, management really does overwork what employees they have, resulting in one bookseller doing the duties of what two, if not three should be required to do.

Another point is that the scheduling (perhaps it is just for my store) has a tendency to be late. We are on a week-by-week schedule that is sometimes released the Thursday before the next week, making it impossible to schedule anything for your personal life ahead of time. Which is okay, if you have completely open availability, but very few people do.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to invest in your employees more, rather than the Nook. The booksellers are the ones that are the liaison between you and the people--if you have disgruntled employees, you will have disgruntled customers. Needless to say, disgruntled customers soon equal no customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "First place I've ever really felt I belonged."

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with, and the environment is like heaven for a bibliophile.

Cons

Sometimes the customers get nasty, but that happens anywhere you work in retail.

"Loyalty does not pay off."

Former Employee - Bookseller in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to work in different areas of the store if you seek them out.
    You will usually foster friendships with your co-workers.

Cons

Moving up from part-time to full-time is almost impossible. They love hiring from other stores when a promotion opens, as opposed to offering the position to a seasoned bookseller.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees who've worked with the company for many years like idiots because YOU'RE new.