Barnes & Noble - Good Company for College Kids | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Good Company for College Kids"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - Bookseller in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked well with my school schedule

Cons

Tasks get boring after awhile

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Great product"

Pros

As a book lover, I enjoyed working for a company who contributed to their local community and encouraged reading for all ages. B&N also embraces individuality and diversity which brought a great balance to the work environment.

Cons

I wish the salary had been higher and that there was better training. People need to be taught about what great customer service looks like. B&N should take the time to do so.

Advice to Management

Higher salaries afford you a higher level of talent. Take the time to find truly dedicated people who want to be there.

"Tons of mistakes!"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

Cons

Memberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!