Barnes & Noble - Working to learn, learning to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Working to learn, learning to work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working up at Barnes and Noble as a temporary cashier. My coworkers were always upbeat and cheerful giving out a WOW experience to each and every customer.

Cons

The RUSH season for a college barnes and noble is iffy. If you're new you struggle to answer questions and stay on top. My first few days I had a buddy but after that I had trouble calling for help with questions and advice when a customer approached me with a problem. The last con I can think of is they hire ALOT of temps so the window to prove yourself is small (especially in my case sadly).

Advice to Management

There needs to be a training course for new employees at College Barnes and Nobles. Everyone is busy so it helps when the employee has more knowledge of what it is that they are handling. Another tip would be to encourage the buddy system more. I had one for two days then I was left alone to fend for myself. You do get on the job training more on hand, definitely get that, but you also need to understand that knowledge is power. Help them help the customer.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "Seasonal Employee - Great for what it was"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Barnes & Noble over the holiday season right after college and before I got my first "career job". It was a great short term job for me. Even in the holiday rush the other staff was friendly and it was fun being in the know about the latest books for a little while. While it wasn't a career for me I had a good time while I was there and would go back if I needed something again in the short term.

Cons

Long hours on your feet, and customers always expect you to know where every book is, even if it's the most obscure title. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone trying to track down random books from other locations.

2. "Great job through college"

Former Employee - Music Seller in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Music Seller in Plano, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice and accommodating as a company, stores vary of course. Great environment, fun place to work, good place to be yourself! Good benefits, including discounts. And you can put your life partner on your benefits!

Cons

The customers! But that's unavoidable haha. And some stores don't have cafes! Also, pretty much no one had the same level of customer service as I do, but I'm old fashioned.

Advice to Management

Don't let being a key-holder go to your head. And don't take out your anger about the fact that you being a manager is the best you can do on your employees.