Barnes & Noble - Tons of mistakes! | Glassdoor

"Tons of mistakes!"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

Cons

Memberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Excellent"

Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great environment, you work with people that really care about you. Customer base is awesome and you build lasting relationships and makes lots of new friends. We are like a family. Very accommodating to your needs and your schedule. Always willing to work with you as much as possible. Just a really great place to work.

Cons

Way behind in technology, takes the long way around doing things, payroll is very limited so there is never more then a few people working which makes it very difficult to get things done. There is always a lot to do, tons of projects all time. Some of it very important and some of it just busy work that doesn't' make sense and is not a good use of time. There is no pay scale that is made public and the pay is pretty low in some cases based on the amount of work. Raises are min and only once a year. It is next to impossible to get an above standard review regardless of far and above and beyond you go.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Great place to work as a college student"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Springfield, MO

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, flexible schedule, nice mangers, good discount

Cons

Low retail pay, like most stores

Advice to Management

More consistent schedules would help employees