Barnes & Noble - Tons of mistakes! | Glassdoor

"Tons of mistakes!"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

Cons

Memberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Excellent"

Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great environment, you work with people that really care about you. Customer base is awesome and you build lasting relationships and makes lots of new friends. We are like a family. Very accommodating to your needs and your schedule. Always willing to work with you as much as possible. Just a really great place to work.

Cons

Way behind in technology, takes the long way around doing things, payroll is very limited so there is never more then a few people working which makes it very difficult to get things done. There is always a lot to do, tons of projects all time. Some of it very important and some of it just busy work that doesn't' make sense and is not a good use of time. There is no pay scale that is made public and the pay is pretty low in some cases based on the amount of work. Raises are min and only once a year. It is next to impossible to get an above standard review regardless of far and above and beyond you go.

Advice to Management

None

"A once great company"

Pros

When I started seven years ago, B&N was one of the best companies to work for. There were plenty of employees, so you had newer or part-time employees who handled customer service and putting books away during the day, and more regular and experienced employees who would handle projects and managing displays. The store always looked great, and there were enough people to provide the type of customer service that convinced people to shop in one of our stores as opposed to Amazon.

Cons

Now, B&N has become another typical corporation. Hours have been slashed to nigh unbearable levels. So much focus has been put on Nook sales with ridiculous goals that nearly all stores are failing to reach them. With two or three employees stationed at the Nook counter all day, a skeleton crew is left on the floor, expected to manage projects, recovery and customer service. Something has to go by the wayside, and since we're expected to get all of those projects done, customer service has suffered. There is a HUGE disconnect between store and district management. Hell, it seems like district and upper management have no clue what goes on in the stores. They just pile on more and more demands on stressed out employees. To compound matters, pay is minimum wage, so getting skilled, motivated and personable employees capable of accomplishing everything expected of them is almost impossible. Why work yourself to the bone for minimum wage at B&N when you can make two dollars more somewhere else?

Advice to Management

Ease off on the stores. If the company continues to post increasing profits, why do hours seem like they're still being cut? Customer service is kind of a joke now, because there are too many customers and too many projects with too few employees. When I first started, it was unheard of to simply direct a customer to the section they were looking for. "Put the book in the customer's hand" was the rule. Now, when you have four customers lined up and the only other person on the bookfloor is on break, what are we supposed to do?