Barnes & Noble - Good stopover job | Glassdoor

"Good stopover job"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Plymouth Meeting, PA
Current Employee - Bookseller in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A really good job - entered as a student, and the managers were always wonderful about my erratic and ever-changing schedule

Cons

Customers, customers, customers - a lot of the issues on the B&N website led to in-store issues like those angry about web-only sales or prices
Too much corporate control meant none of the sales staff's personalities showed in the books - many of the titles on display were ones none of us cared about or liked
Low pay for tasks managed

Advice to Management

Return a little display control to employees

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

"A great college job with no career potential."

Former Employee - Digital Sales Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dig in to what you love. Positions offer both customer-facing and behind-the-scenes work. Large company offers room to move up, transfer, and a decent benefits package.

Cons

After having worked for the company for five years, I transferred to the Chicago region. Actually, allow me to rephrase - I had to quite and be immediately rehired, because Chicago technically does not allow transfers. When they rehired me, I received a small pay increase, which, given the difference in the cost of living, was actually a 30% pay cut.

This itself would have been fine, if there had been long-term potential. The real deal breaker was that they hired me back at minimum wage. Evidently my consistently above-average membership, Nook sales, and gift card conversion rate was worth the bare minimum to management in Chicago. Along with my familiarity of inventory processes, Bookmaster, Cafe and Music... When I presented my case to the store manager, citing both the differing costs of living and my experience with the company, he shrugged it off and said, "We re-hired you, and so we can't give you a raise until next year. I can't do anything about it."

Furthermore, I have never been micromanaged so aggressively before in my life. Apparently slouching is a tremendous deterrent to sales; failing to answer the phone before the third ring once in two months warrants a face-to-face meeting with a manager; using the wrong timer in the cafe is simply a unnecessary distraction.

I would recommend that anyone considering a job with Barnes & Noble in Chicago also consider anything else. Anything.

Advice to Management

You're doing a spectacular job putting your physical stores out of business by undercutting them online.

2. "It was a job that went nowhere."

Former Employee - Lead Music Seller in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Music Seller in Austin, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The fellow employees were good. Store management was good. You were around books and music. Customers were mostly pleasant. Flexible schedule was nice.

Cons

Low annual raises. Not much room to advance. Better as a part-time job. Benefits deteriorated, especially for part time employees.

Advice to Management

Get into selling music mp3's and dvd's online.