Barnes & Noble - Barnes & Noble is a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"Barnes & Noble is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to get more hours if you want more. Working in a bookstore is a wonderful experience and the customers at most stores tend not to be as demanding and annoying as customers are at other retail stores.

Cons

I have worked in two Barnes & Nobles and they vary greatly in terms of management style. One was more laid back and had been around longer, and had a more streamlined system to get everything done. The other is more chaotic and not organized.

Advice to Management

Listen to lower management and ideas from employees more. They are the people who know how the individual stores work better.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    If you love to read, get to loan books for free
    Amazing holiday discount

Cons

Sometimes rude customers and tons of teenagers

2. "money does not own my soul"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

employee discount, friendly coworkers and some management, pleasant atmosphere, good line of products, specializes employees in fields of strength

Cons

troubles with flexibility of schedule, some management, rude clientele, micro-management, no respect for some employees, lack of camaraderie, apparently the store must own you body and soul to get anywhere in the business

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES DURING THEIR INTERVIEWS. Stop killing trees with needless paperwork, get on the ball and listen when an employee has to reschedule. Seriously reconsider some of the things that come out of your mouth and realize that some of us have lives apart from our retail lives within the company. I have felt a lack of respect and a certain sense of condescension from the higher management. My experience with this particular location has disenchanted me with work here and I will be leaving in the very near future. Best of luck keeping employees if they receive the same treatment I have. Also, don't trick an employee into accepting a job only to tell them it's seasonal.