Barnes & Noble - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
If you love to read, get to loan books for free
Amazing holiday discount

Cons

Sometimes rude customers and tons of teenagers

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "money does not own my soul"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

employee discount, friendly coworkers and some management, pleasant atmosphere, good line of products, specializes employees in fields of strength

Cons

troubles with flexibility of schedule, some management, rude clientele, micro-management, no respect for some employees, lack of camaraderie, apparently the store must own you body and soul to get anywhere in the business

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES DURING THEIR INTERVIEWS. Stop killing trees with needless paperwork, get on the ball and listen when an employee has to reschedule. Seriously reconsider some of the things that come out of your mouth and realize that some of us have lives apart from our retail lives within the company. I have felt a lack of respect and a certain sense of condescension from the higher management. My experience with this particular location has disenchanted me with work here and I will be leaving in the very near future. Best of luck keeping employees if they receive the same treatment I have. Also, don't trick an employee into accepting a job only to tell them it's seasonal.

2. "Coworkers make it great"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Milford, CT

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart coworkers, dedicated staff, mostly friendly customer base. If you love books, it's easy to be around them and find them for people.

Cons

Low wages, very little room for advancement, scheduling tricks to avoid employees qualifying for health insurance. Depending on your manager, it's hard to feel respected as a person and employee.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people who have bills and care about their health and livelihoods.