Barnes & Noble - overall good company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

"overall good company to work for"

Pros

Get a good discount, decent benefits, overall good work environment.

Cons

hours are never guarenteed and can change week to week.
starting pay is minimal
at my store the managers never seem to be on the same page. Very little communication

Advice to Management

come to the stores and talk to the employees. They are the ones providing the customer service day to day and putting the bonuses in everyones pockets. Provide training for Nook. If we're expected to sell it we should have the time to learn the product.

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble

1. "Need more"

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

Pros

Easy, nice customers, good environment. It is easy because technology is simple to use and easy to learn. Usually, only intelligent and easy to work with people shop there. The environment is good because it is relatively low stress and quiet.

Cons

Low pay, low and few raises. I have been there for well over two years as part time (not seasonal). Yet i have only seen one 25 cent raise, even though the company policy for part timers is one raise I year....?

Advice to Management

Give raises for amount of responsibilities and knowledge employees have. Getting paid 25 cents more than someone I am TRAINING is not fun.

2. "Barnes and Noble opportunities"

Pros

The benefits package is very good. Medical, dental and vision plans are available. After 1 year of employment, a 401k plan is available for all employees.

Cons

Working for such a large corporation, it is hard to stand out. It is easy to feel like you are only a number and that your opinion doesn't matter.

Advice to Management

Please appreciate loyal and hardworking employees. Make them feel important and that their opinion and feelings matter. This will increase employee satisfaction and further benefit the company.