Barneys - Disappointing | Glassdoor

"Disappointing"

Pros

Discount comparable to other retailers.
Don't have to wear their clothes.
Not really much I can say that is positive. Company seems to not know, or maybe don't care about daily outlet operations

Cons

Pay is very low in comparison to other companies.
When I thought of Barneys I thought of a great hip place to work...NOT
Upper management constantly changing mind on every issue
Loss prevention a joke. No corporate support.
Inventory not at all what people are expecting at an outlet...basically left over crap from other stores.
Who does the hiring? HR people in charge of hiring need to learn how to read resumes and not hire undesirables to "give them a chance". I'm sure this is done so they don't have to pay.
Corporate bullying in regards to customer name capture. Hello...customers do not.want to give their personal information out. Deal with it.
sales associates are given ridiculous sales goals...no commission ...plus low hourly wage.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. The Barneys name used the mean something. Corporate people live in their own closed little world with no conception of how a store actually runs. ...seems like each is on their own power trip. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Other Employee Reviews for Barneys

"Barneys? Depends on what you want to do."

Pros

Barneys will always look good on your resume and the discount is great!

Cons

There is a limited amount of growth opportunity and their pay is not at all competitive. If you want to be a career salesperson get a job at one of their flagship stores, otherwise it may not be worth it. There are people who have worked for the company for years waiting for an opportunity in the corporate offices, but the chances that it will ever happen are slim to none.

Advice to Management

Be open to hearing realities of the business from store sales staff and management. Promote from within, this is where you're going to find those most invested in the success of the compnay.

"Bittersweet- my dream job was turned into a nightmare"

Pros

Best retailer in the industry
    Gorgeous merchandise
    Get to learn first hand about all designers/ product
    In store events are cool
    Good benefits
    Mostly a nice group of people

Cons

Terrible management!
    I was undercut and Terribly mistreated by my manager. He terrorized me and my coworkers. I was not supported when I brought this to his boss' attention... instead of investigating the situation, My reputation/integrity/talent was called into question!! Ridiculous! So I quit. I'm not going to be undervalued where I put in 110% every day. Unconscionable.
    My loyalty was not rewarded. My manager spent more time playing head games than actually working. He worked at his other jobs while at work! He took credit for people's ideas and blamed our team for his mistakes- passing the buck. The other managers supported him. He fabricated history to support his claims. Vindictive and sadistic- psychopathic behavior. The job is demanding and stressful without having a constant battle. This guy battled with everyone- not just me. He yelled at us almost daily.. it was like working for a crazy person; which personality were we going to get today? was the daily question.
    He was abusive to us and menacing, and dishonest about it- but the GM supported him and took his word, possibly because they are friends (?). His behavior is entirely unprofessional and unacceptable. I would warn people not to work for him.
    But the mayhem wasn't limited to my department/ my experience:
    Many of the other managers were disrespectful to their staff- I witnessed actual screaming matches on the sales floor (not my former department), sometimes to the detriment of the customer experience. Management also neglected to actually "manage" the staff- who also took their personality conflicts out at work, rather than cooperate or get things done. Drama central; like an overrun high school. Sometimes it was more like a personality contest than a business, or that's what it looked like from the outside. I got along with nearly everyone except for my crazy boss. There's no need for drama at work- let's be professional adults here, we should all be on the same team- there's work to do.
    I think the bad economy and slow business made everyone turn on each other-so ugly to watch.
    Managers utilized fear as a motivator- and would put competent and reliable employees on "Final Warning"- I saw this happen to several of my former peers, for the slightest (or perceived) infraction.
    Morale is terrible in the store- people are not valued but things are.
    Maybe this location is Still (?) experiencing growing pains? I don't know- it is like an experiment gone terribly wrong.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration what the employees have to say- don't just blindly back the managers- they can be in the wrong!!
    Also, if people feel valued and morale is good, the business will be more successful.