Barracuda Networks - Grass isn't always greener.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barracuda Networks

"Grass isn't always greener...."

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Barracuda for around 3 years, and I miss it! I got laid off in 2009 and I was without work for about a year before Barracuda hired me. I wasn’t an ideal candidate because of my limited networking experience; after my first interview didn’t go so well, they offered me a chance to study and come back. They even provided me a study guide of material to review. I don’t remember exactly what was on the study guide but it was a lot of Linux and networking stuff. I studied my a$$ off, came back, passed the test, and got the job. It was really hard at first, I had to study a lot at home, but I learned how to support 3 products and eventually made Tier III. Well, you know they say that the grass is always greener…. I learned that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side….. The hours and work load of the job I left Barracuda for were crazy; I love how I never had to do overtime at Barracuda. Due to restructuring, I was laid off from my most recent job and I haven’t found work yet. I just reapplied to Barracuda again and I hope that they will bring me back onboard. Hopefully they will read this and see my resume come through , fingers crossed! I have read a lot of the reviews on here; some of the reviews are valid and others are BS. The people there are good folks and I learned a lot there!

Cons

Ok, here are some of the things that I didn’t like but don’t mind:
1) The starting pay is low. It got better when I made Tier II, then Tier III.
2) The call volume can be a bit intense but it makes the day go by quick and it definitely isn’t boring.
3) Parking sucks! There were times that I had to park across the street or down the road. I have heard that the department recently moved to a new building and the parking isn’t bad.

Advice to Management

You should take a second chance on former employees!

AS

Other Employee Reviews for Barracuda Networks

"Software Engineer"

Pros

There is a good atmosphere if you are coming from a small company. Free downtown parking, flexible hours, ping pong, arcade games, snacks. Depending on your department you may get the chance of solving some challenging problems.

Cons

You can only get 401k matching after a few years with the company. It's difficult to move up the ladder and harder to move within departments unless you're one of the best or you've been there a few years. The code base has almost no tests so be prepared to spend 90% of your time fixing bugs and 10% building features. The pay is low so experienced developers never stay long. Mid management doesn't have any previous experience managing, so there is a lot of miscommunication. As the new engineer be prepared to get the worst end of the stick unless you are very experienced. Since the IPO there have been numerous budget cuts, also stock was only given to privileged employees, so don't expect a stock program. The morale is low, mostly amongst engineers and support.

Advice to Management

Stop with the budget cuts, keep your employees happy, they're the ones that are going to make you money. The new benefits are not much better than the old ones and just like the pay they are below industry standards. You guys have hired really smart people, you have to treat them well so they stop leaving.

"For the rank and file it's a real Sweat Shop."

Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn some leading edge technologies. The employee base is a hard working dedicated bunch. HR tries their best. The bring you food every day.

Cons

Other than the product, I don't have much good to say. The middle management is pathetic. For the rank and file employee, there is virtually no opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Gut the support management team and start over. Think about better compensating the rank and file employee. It's not just about your greed. Give the employee base some equity.