Barracuda Networks - Fact paced, clear strategy and very customer oriented | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barracuda Networks

"Fact paced, clear strategy and very customer oriented"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Campbell, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Campbell, CA

Pros

1. Impressed by the clear strategy for keeping up with the changes in the industry.
2. The near obsessive focus on customer support and service. This manifests itself in many ways - including listening to customers' feedback about product features, processes and new product ideas.
3. Creatively exhibited and demanded in solving business problems - resulting a "can do" attitude.
4. A culture that promotes (and demands) open communication. There are very few companies where the CEO of the company regularly meets employees from support, engineering and manufacturing to discuss THEIR issues.
5. Decisions are delegated to the right level. I have never heard the argument, "we are doing this because I said so, and I am the boss". This means you get to make your own decisions (commensurate with your experience and position, of course) and also that you are responsible for your decisions.

Cons

Barracuda Networks has many employees, in many countries. A more proactive program of communicating what the company is doing (on a quarterly basis) will be appreciated by many employees.

Advice to Management

The style of leadership practiced by Dean, which is "get feedback from all, but make your own independent" decisions is key IMHO. The "get feedback from all" is probably the most important part and fairly elusive to find in other leaders.

Other Employee Reviews for Barracuda Networks

"management "fakes it to make it""

Current Employee - A Technical Role in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - A Technical Role in Campbell, CA

Pros

-pays a portion of your bills, if you Really Need It. Even if you get fired from here, your next position will pay more.

-everyone is in the same boat, so inter-employee camaraderie is high. I've worked with great people. If doing a good job for a good jobs sake alone is what you are looking for, this is the place for you. Grow your skills as best you can and leave when you see fit.

Cons

The review-stuffing on this site since Feb 2011 is a proper indication of the level of professionalism present throughout this companies management and must be regarded as their version of a management strategy. If C level management read this and are surprised- your need to monitor your colleagues more closely. Fix the actual problems, don't submit fake reviews about your wishful prowess. This is not a Jihad against you, or your company, it is an honest summary of your own actions. Change your actions to change the reviews.

I have been with this team in the California office for a while now. I am posting this in response to the marked and aberrant positive review recently placed about this workplace.

In my time here I have observed juvenile behavior from C level management I would never have thought possible.

Any communication you have with your manager about your job in any respect- send an email confirming the conversation and the particulars. And print it. These guys outright misrepresent even the small things that you would not think they would choose to cheat you upon. And check your pay stubs each time as well.

I have seen first-hand the detail mentioned in another review of this company: the internal email offering a raffle entry for a big-screen TV in reward for submitting a positive review to a "best workplace" competition in California. This was a multi-year company-wide strategy. CEO had to have signed on.

In my position, I report directly to a VP. Sadly, that is not a good thing- outright deceit, misrepresentation of company deliverables to employees, constant brow-beating, and outright inappropriate behavior is even worse when coming from the very top.

If you need a place that pays 50%-60% of standard wages (Support, Engineering, whatever role) -- this is the place for you to park while you wait for something better to come along. If you have 1/2 a clue, technically you won't be challenged, and if you can put up with the horrible management culture and focus on doing a good job for its own sake- your next place of work will be one you really appreciate.

The bullet- this is a great workplace of last resort- they have the churn rate such that they are always hiring.

Bullet points:

-most untrustworthy management I have ever worked with.
    -most amateurish HR team I have ever seen.
    -embedded management culture of deceit and manipulation.
    -failure to deliver upon even the smallest of agreed-upon management/employee deliverables.

-you will be told to your face- if you are working here, you must be out of options, else you would have left already.

-horrible professionalism in management interactions: even your one-on-ones will be full of "F* heem, F* heem" diatribes about other execs, this is meant to frighten and silence you.

This management culture has been present for a very long period of time, readers should look at the time span encompassed by the negative reviews and make your own decisions.

It is difficult to assign blanket-blame to all C level managers, including the CEO- but for such blatant and frankly horrible culture to persist- it must be being endorsed from the very top.

Change that, and the reviews will change guys- don't submit fake reviews.

Advice to Management

Change the previous if you can. You can't spackle over the reality of your company culture, environment and chosen management styles, even on this site.

"I love my job."

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Campbell, CA

Pros

- Work is challenging and interesting with lots of room for creativity and professional growth.
    - Benefits are quite good, including frequent bbqs on site and fun company outings/events almost monthly!
    - Environment is open and fun, encouraging camaraderie and collaboration.
    - Great products spanning a wide range of network security applications.
    - International team with good communication channels.
    - Top management is accessible.
    - Great people to work with - smart, fun, talented.
    - Good location.
    - Your job is - to a certain extent -what you make it. I like that!

Cons

- High turnover - which is disappointing. We lose lots of good people who feel under compensated.
    - Low pay scale means we may be missing out on lots of talent.
    - Top management could step back a bit from daily, low-level issues.

Advice to Management

- The company needs to better identify and retain talented, motivated contributors.
    - Could offer higher compensation and more competitive benefits package.
    - Could better acknowledge and reward key contributors in all departments.