Barton Associates - It's hard work, but very rewarding! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Barton Associates

"It's hard work, but very rewarding!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job! The people I work with make coming to work fun every day. There are some BIG personalities in the office I work in. There is a strong sense of teamwork. The compensation structure has given me the opportunity to drastically increase my earnings and will continue to do so each year. The shortage of healthcare providers continues to grow which will create more opportunity to make money. The management team is very approachable and "hands-on."

Cons

The job is not easy... you need to work hard! It's not the kind of job that everyone will be good at.
People can get negative when they don't see immediate results. This brings others down.
The is a learning curve. It takes a while to get good. There is no immediate gradification.

Advice to Management

More sales/recruiting contests!

Other Employee Reviews for Barton Associates

1. "Great Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting this position, I had no background or any real knowledge of healthcare. I came in for an interview and they were very upfront on what the job entails and what the standards are. The thing that drew me in the most was the harder you work the more likely you are to excel and make a lot of money, who doesn't want to make a lot of money!

The company provides extensive training for the first 6 months about healthcare, the locum tenen industry, the business model, etc.... It's a sales position and if you're competitive, driven, have good communication skills, and a hard worker there is a very good chance you'll succeed. Healthcare is the biggest money making industry in the US and with all the changes that are happening it will continue to grow, which means so will Barton.

Being a sales job a lot of people think that it's a scripted position and there is only one way that is right.... It's the complete opposite. Everyone has their different techniques and tries different ways to effectively communicate and you can find out what works for you.....The people you work with make this position even better. It's a very close group that you will end up becoming great friends with.

Starting off it's an annual salary (as well as benefits) and after your first 6 months you get a raise in base pay and are eligible for commission. The reason for only having a base salary for the first 6 months is that Barton doesn't expect you to do any business for them. It's about growing the database and building relationships with potential clients.

At first it took a while to realize that it was a process and not instant gratification. I didn't have a doctor working for one of my client's until the end of month 4. Then it all came in bunches. I became a manager in about month 7... Another plus is that the company promotes from within and does not hire from outside for managerial roles. The incentives for yearly total sales are great and year after year for hitting certain marks you get raises in base pay for the following year. For this reason I will be here for as long as possible.

Cons

The turnover for the company
    People that come in don't give the job enough time to see the benefits or think this is a job that is something to bridge the gap for a career. It's a career opportunity and realistically the longer you're with Barton the more money you will make.

"Amazing opportunity for the right person."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The position of Account Manager or Recruiter is an entry level but professional sales job. The company typically prefers its sales people to have college degrees, and usually looks for candidates that are around college graduate age (think early to late 20's). The company provides extensive training and a reasonably high level of sales and administrative support combined with a fairly laissez faire management style.

A successful sales person will be energetic, outgoing, have strong communication skills, good at thinking outside the box and working independently, and is probably witty, confident, and competitive.

Hourly starting pay is pretty meager, but benefits are solid, including paid holidays, personal time off, medical insurance, and a 401(k). However commission (only available after the first six months) is solid and if you are good at the job you can make a good living and should reasonably expect to make up to about $45,000 your first year of employment. During the second year there is no reason you shouldn't make at least 50 to $60,000 (and there are people making considerably more.)

The company's culture in my opinion is one of its strongest points; it provides a strong level of training and feedback in order to develop its sales force but also maintains a relatively relaxed management style that allows its employees the freedom to experiment and develop according to their own personalities and sales styles.

Cons

Pay during the first six months is probably Barton's biggest drawback. You will be paid at a rate of $28,000 a year for the first six months with no chance at commission. Frankly considering the long hours worked from 7 to 5 Monday to Friday, this can be very difficult to pull off depending on your life situation. I will say that relatively few of the non-management salespeople have children, and that is probably because of the hour to pay ratio.

There is a reason behind Barton seemingly peculiar and spartan pay structure; the Company invests a fairly significant amount of time training its employees yet also experiences a fairly high-level of staff turnover. And almost every sales environment to which I have been exposed there is always going to be a relatively high level of turnover. In Barton's case however I do believe that a good portion could be avoided. While Barton has a fairly specific criteria that its employees me in order to be hired, including education age and and a couple of other factors, if you do fit these criteria they are not particularly selective. As such I can usually identify right off the bat what employees will be successful and which ones will flounder and ultimately quit.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to pay your employees more - inflation has gone up and you have been paying your employees the same amount for basically the last 10 years. It will be more and more difficult to attract good talent At the wages you are currently offering.

Additionally, and this is ironic considering Barton staffing company, however I think that the company would benefit from a more selective and consistent hiring process and criteria. By being more selective in your hiring process you will reduce operating costs, training costs, and ultimately have a more tenured and qualified salesforce.