Battelle Memorial - Change is slow, but critical to the future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Battelle Memorial

"Change is slow, but critical to the future"

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Battelle has been, and will always be about the people who work here. They dont sell products, they sell the experience of the people and the ability to solve tough problems. The corporate mission, while sometimes lost amid the drive for profit, is to make the world a better place. This is what keeps most people here.

Cons

Battelle has been insulated from the ups and downs of the market for years, but not any more. The reality of how the markets impact our business, even without shareholders, has hit very hard over the last 5 years and Battelle is just learning how to react. To remain relevant in the market, Battelle is challenged to find ways to reduce costs without just cutting the very assest we sell, our staff.

Advice to Management

Open communication is critical to leadership. Emphasize the mission, not the money, and the staff will listen. We are driven by the mission and the ability to do great things, not %TW .

Other Employee Reviews for Battelle Memorial

"Battelle used to be a great place to work, but those days are in the rear view mirror."

Pros

In general, interesting projects. Compensation and benefits seem to be ok. The move to PTO seems to have been industry-wide.

Cons

Too many good 'ol boy circles. No goodies for anyone outside those circles. Excessive layers of management at Battelle.

The re-worked benefits package was definitely discouraging. The PTO system really penalized everyone. If abuse was the issue, deal with the abuse, don't penalize everyone. That's management failure.

The organization doesn't seem to realize that people with their ideas and innovations are the engine that propels Battelle. Instead, people are viewed as resources. Instead of laying off scientists and engineers, reorganize, retrain, reassign those people. Eliminate the blotted layers of management and useless staffers instead.

Battelle seems to have forgotten how to innovate. I keep hearing about how Battelle invented the Xerox process. I think that was 50 years ago. What has Battelle done since? Battelle has been living off of federal government funding for so long, I don't know what will happen now with federal funding drying up. I don't think Battelle has the ability to compete in industrial R&D anymore. Research has become very rigid and inflexible, requiring multiple management sign-offs for even the most insignificant changes. Battelle's motto, "The Business of Innovation", doesn't seem to apply any more.

Advice to Management

Managers need to stop talking to only managers. That will definitely not lead to innovation. Talk to the troops. Get their ideas. Treat them like they have a brain. Re-engineer research processes to incorporate more flexibility and researcher input.

"Have no idea how to treat employees"

Pros

Benefits are strong although they were recently cut

Cons

Do not take care of employees who take overseas assignments
    No oversight
    No vision
    No communication
    Extremely political
    Wasteful with Government and Taxpayer money
    Worst employee experience in my 20 years

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your paychecks and take care your employees