Baxter - working at baxter | Glassdoor

"working at baxter"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Round Lake, IL
Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Round Lake, IL

I have been working at Baxter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

there are some bad managers

Advice to Management

be fair

Other Employee Reviews for Baxter

1. "Talk is cheap ..."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Round Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Round Lake, IL

I worked at Baxter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros were working in a challenging atmosphere, with many talented and ambitious people. Great work experience, good on the resume. Salary is decent, benefits are okay.

Cons

A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job. Most positions do not allow for work-from-home opportunities, despite what you are told by HR. HR will allow managers to force people to work from the office 100%, and there is no recourse through HR. "Need-based" pay standards, not what HR will tell you. Many managers will give single moms higher annual raises, moms with children are often discriminated against (that is my particular experience) by being told when they initially take a job offer that working from home is totally acceptable, and then later are told that it is not acceptable just for her. Lots of the "good old boys" mentality there. If you're not one of the insiders, you're nothing. Lots of huge egos.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your employees are cattle. I quit my job at Baxter after 12 years because of favoritism among different managers/leaders. I worked in Quality, and the atmosphere was terrible. Our management gave no appreciation of anything we did (our entire team) and we were often the people working latest into the evening, in the entire building. I did not get fired from Baxter; I quit because I was fed up with the horrific conditions working there.

"Mixed Emotions"

Pros

Great opportunities, learned a lot, and treated very well by the company. Flexible working hours, and work from home are great perks.

Cons

Major issues with middle management in certain areas. A lot of employees with poor work ethic, managed by people with poor work ethic. A lot of people complaining about too much work and not enough head count, when there are plenty of people there to do the work, they just don't.

Advice to Management

Show some interest in your organization and making sure it is functioning properly, not just assuming that business as usual is good enough.d