BayCare Health System - It is all about who you know not what you know | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BayCare Health System

"It is all about who you know not what you know"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist
Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great core values and good benefits.

Cons

It is very difficult to move up, it is about who you know what what you know. Upper management needs to realize that supervisors play favorites and use this for annual increases. If a senior employee or manager forms an opinion of you it sticks with you for your entire career.

Advice to Management

Realize that lower level supervisors and managers play favorites and bully other employees,

Other Employee Reviews for BayCare Health System

"Worst I.T. Management in the Business"

Current Employee - Pharmacy
    Current Employee - Pharmacy

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time

Pros

Nice parking garage. Bay area is nice. Well maintained lawns. Hospital staff is very nice.

Cons

The I.T. department has gone downhill over the last 5 years. Had some very smart programmers there. BayCare moved toward EMR, but never figured out you need good programmers who were creative. They started micro managing them, and a few left and found better environments in other hospital systems. Management, starting canning the few good ones that were left. The fired ones found better positions at other hospital systems. The final straw was they took two managers that probably couldn't manage a neat market, and promoted them to a Director position. Thankfully, I left I.T. and went to another position.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Practice your 5 values.

"Think before applying"

I worked at BayCare Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work alongside some very dedicated, talented people. They made coming to work bearable for me. The health benefits are good; low co-pays, tuition reimbursement, and 401K. Vacation, holidays, and sick time comes out of one bank, and accumulating time can be difficult if you are starting out. I had to take some days without pay when I first started as the holidays took my only accumulated PTO day(s).

Cons

During my time with the organization, I saw many people come and go. BayCare has a tendency to keep and promote the employees with a lackluster work effort who exert little to no effort in the job. The hard working employees were the ones to leave instead. This organization is governed by fear. Fear of impending re-organizations and reporting structures. Fear of innovation and forward thinking. Leadership is afraid of making decisions and being accountable for their actions. Employees are afraid to speak up during team meetings and voice their opinion for fear of being chastised and belittled by management and leadership. I have witnessed this behavior on several occasions. The BayCare “values” that they preach have little effect on the organization, since leadership and management does not regularly practice these beliefs. Moving up in the organization can be difficult if you don’t know the right people. For upper level positions such as directors and above, they usually hire external candidates instead of their own people. Towards the end of my time at BayCare, I witnessed many unhappy employees and I too became one of them. I wanted a job with a company that respected my opinions, one that would allow me to actually do my job instead of being micromanaged on a daily basis, and one that I wouldn’t feel physically sick to come into every day. My happiest day was my last day at the organization.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, not much advice can be given to senior management as most of leadership is set in their ways and fears change. The only way for this organization to truly change is for those in the “good ol’ boys club” to step down as leaders and bring in a new wave of forward thinking people.