Bayer - Great place to learn about the industry | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bayer

"Great place to learn about the industry"

Current Employee - Intern in Baytown, TX
Current Employee - Intern in Baytown, TX

Pros

The internship program at the Baytown site is well-organized and geared towards educating the students. Supervisors will introduce interns to varied aspects of a chemical process through small projects covering basic unit ops - as is expected - and offer the expertise of senior engineers when the assignments turn hard. Activities, like dinners out and Astros games, are a nice reprieve from the drab Baytown surroundings as well as a chance to meet interns working in other units. The city of Baytown is a typical run-down oil town, and while there isn't much to do except suffer in the summer heat, it is inexpensive.

Cons

It's hard to stay busy at work for a number of reasons: managers are afraid of giving too much responsibility or assignments that may not have been covered in school, they're hesitant to bring 3-month hires up to speed on ongoing projects, and they don't want to thrust us in existing groups for fear that, if we don't work out, they'll be responsible. I haven't interned in other facilities, so it's unknown whether the Baytown plant is unique in this regard. At the end of summer, there's a mandatory presentation summarizing our contributions to the company. These two downsides do not go well together.

Advice to Management

I haven't met senior management and I haven't worked here long enough to form an opinion.

Other Employee Reviews for Bayer

1. "It's a paycheck"

Current Employee - QC in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - QC in Seattle, WA

Pros

It is a stable job.

Cons

Treated as just a number, recognition for job well done few and far between, promotions are a joke.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind and don't pit your employees against each other.

2. "Office Consultant"

I worked at Bayer full-time

Pros

Great environment and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Management feels distant and intimidating at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.