Baylor Scott & White Health - Medicare Biller | Glassdoor

"Medicare Biller"

Current Employee - Medical Billing Representative in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Medical Billing Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great health/dental/vision/life/STD/LTD benefits, random bonuses for meeting financial goals, 401k, Semi-Flexible M-F schedule, and the company employees do try to exemplify its core values.

Cons

not much upward movement, given most people are ensconced in their position, but we are notified of open positions, before they are posted through the temp agencies.

Other Employee Reviews for Baylor Scott & White Health

"Great name and overall a pretty good place to work."

Current Employee - ED Tech in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ED Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Acuity of patients - Because Baylor is a tertiary care referral center they see some really sick people. To me this was far more gratifying than working at a smaller community hospital.
    - Range of patients - Baylor sees the entire socio-economic strata of Dallas from the poorest to the richest.
    - Management - I honestly liked the majority of my shift-leaders, they were the type of nurses who were willing to roll up their sleeves and pass meds, take vital signs or clean rooms if that's what we needed. Out of the 10 or so managers, there were only 2-3 that I didn't really care for.
    - Commitment to education - Baylor is the most pro-employee education group I've worked for so far. They have contracts with UTA for techs who want to go to nursing school and celebrate when people get in or graduate from any higher degree programs.
    - Name - When I tell people I work for Baylor, the name is pretty instantly recognizable as a good system.

Cons

- Day to day shift assignments - Baylor is a big place that operates 24/7 so sometimes things get lost in shift transitions. Often you find yourself in the same assignment simply because the incoming manager doesn't realize you've been in triage for the past 4 shifts. Seems tough to completely fix, but should be worked on.
    - Parking - I think also related to size, but as a new employee I was assigned to a parking lot in the far side of campus. Not a big deal except I got off at 10:00 at night after the shuttle stopped running. It took a good three months before it all got straightened out.
    - "Baylor Kool-Aid" - for lack of a better term. Baylor would like you to believe that everyday you go to work your "blessed to be at Baylor". They tend to reward people who know the Baylor catch phrases and donate to the employee giving campaign over people who work hard. Don't get me wrong it's a great company, I enjoyed work almost everyday, but I'm in healthcare to take care of people not go to committee meetings and company events where we pat ourselves on the back.

Advice to Management

Feel free to build the brand, but keep the focus on the patient and the caregiver. That's what makes Baylor a great hospital system, and its something that no advertising campaign or employee program can ever get you.

"Good place to start"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Temple, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beginning salaries, opportunities to learn, great people to work with, good differentials, hospital name on resume, continuing education opportunities

Cons

Behind the times with charting, little to no incentive to improve skills/standards of practice based on yearly review methods, nurses have little voice in a physician run hospital, money is spent on growing the company instead of improving patient care, little to no support staff

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff at the bedside so patient care can improve. Provide your staff with the support staff needed to do the job. Give incentive for your experienced staff to stay. Change the yearly review methods and review individuals based on their abilities and knowledge instead of grouping everyone with the same experience together regardless of their job performance. Provide incentive for current staff to improve.