Baylor Scott & White Health - Professional executive experience coaching and mentor employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Baylor Scott & White Health

"Professional executive experience coaching and mentor employees"

Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Director Or Professional Services in Plano, TX

I worked at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Magnet Status
Increase Community Awareness
Complete Masters in Conflict Resolution

Cons

Competition with hospital on same acerage, Challenging reimbursement Medicare issues,

Advice to Management

Upper management understood the culter and branding and used strategy to succeed

Other Employee Reviews for Baylor Scott & White Health

"Employees are not treated equally"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Temple, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Temple, TX

I worked at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In this economy, having a job is a pro. Made some great connections, learned a lot from coworkers (read: not managers).

Cons

Management plays favorites; understaffed; underpaid; dangerous patient loads; terrible/costly benefits; no growth opportunities; rules do not apply to everyone. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase ER nurse staffing to provide safe and manageable care to patients.

Get better managers and charge nurses that are willing to be team players; also, charge nurses should be able to take a full patient load without difficulty, after all, they are supposed to be the role model and the most competent, if they are not, they should not be charge nurses. It would be helpful to the team, the hospital and even the charge nurses, if the charge nurses are required to work shifts taking a full patient load without a student nurse/new hire to do all the work for them. Some of the charge nurses cannot handle the stress of increase volume and lash out at the staff.

If there is a rule, everyone should follow it; promote hard and smart workers, and if able give raises based on performance not just to favorites and relatives.

Decrease turnover! Nurses do not feel valued (unless nurse is a favorite).

"Great the first few years, very oppressive the last few years"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Garland, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only reason I stay is because of my awesome coworkers. We have to depend on each other, or else we would all suffer. Because of poor staffing and uncaring supervisors/director, if our coworkers didn't have each others' backs, a lot of patients could potentially suffer irreparable harm or death. Staff generally cares about the job they do and the people they serve, and believe they make a difference to those we serve.

Cons

1. Pay is marginal.
    2. Management is abysmal. They rule with rudeness, retaliatory efforts, and are very disrespectful to the staff. This has caused a huge turnover. Morale is very poor. VERY poor.
    3. Nearly every shift is understaffed. One particular nursing position is responsible for approximately 6 patients upwards of 15 or more. Another position is responsible for up to 11 patients. Management makes sure that you never have an empty bed, and they don't care to hear about acuity. Since the paramedics/techs aren't allowed to do much more than stock, transport, and change linens, that means the nurse has to do all interventions. Oftentimes, there is only one tech in the whole department, so their duties become yours anyways. They are worked to death and often quit.
    4. Staff works under the constant threat of termination. Just to prove a point, the director recently fired 3 very productive and well-liked staff members in one week.
    5. High turnover due to management. I think in the last year, maybe 10 FT nurses and techs have transferred to other hospitals or departments specifically because of the issues related to management behavior. Besides myself, I know of 4 other nurses on my shift that are looking for jobs elsewhere, and we are of the few nurses left in the department with more than 5 years of experience. How scary is that for a critical patient?

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees with the kindness and generosity you expect us to give to our patients, and leave your personal feelings for them at home. Don't yell at us like we are trash. Practice what you preach. Learn what is going on in your department, instead of lurking around corners trying to catch us doing something wrong so that you can write us up. Get out from behind your desk and see what real nursing is like. Oh, that's right- you can't actually "do" my job, you can only "tell" me how to do it.