Bechtel - Good Benefits, Work Enviornment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel

"Good Benefits, Work Enviornment"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex Time and 9/80 schedule (every other friday off). Good benefits, 401k matching plan.

Cons

Petty co-worker interaction, old school personalities.

Key to advancing is all about who you know.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and have personable communication and meaningful relationships with employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Bechtel

1. "Extremely technical due to the industry they serve, nuclear power"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a number of very gifted engineers who are proficient at a difficult task - building and maintaining nuclear power plants.

Cons

Many employees have been there for decades and they form a tight clique, especially when it comes to downsizing.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas, employees, and ways of doing business.

"It's not What but Who you know at Bechtel"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bechtel does have excellent benefits; a 9% match on 401K can’t be beat. Having every other Friday off is also a really nice perk. Bechtel is an older, well established company; they are a top pick for LNG projects where they pioneered and still excel. The company has some excellent top notch talent whom are well known in the industry. Bechtel does have an excellent developmental programs and remuneration for select individuals. Bechtel will keep hard workers that produce a quality product.

Cons

The drawback, at least right now; albeit Bechtel is well poised with LNG projects, they need to diversify more.

As an older, well established company, Bechtel employs many procedures that are dated; they also tend to stick too long to procedures that just are not working.

I was loaned by a subsidiary and subsequently hired permanently. I seemed to get on well with management initially, they appreciated the quality and my hard work; in the subsequent years that followed, management became more and more cold and distant. I also discovered that my salary, raises and bonuses had not kept up with others doing exactly the same type of work. I asked if there were any issues with my performance also voiced my concern regarding remuneration. Nothing really came of it; I resigned. Management did try and make a counteroffer; however, after close to 3 years, I decided enough was enough. I accepted a higher position with a competitor in my home city. Another reason I left was more for quality of life and work/life balance.The only thing I can figure regarding my drop with management is that I didn't speak with my initial Supervisor and the Chief as much once I was hired.

Advice to Management

You are doing well with LNG and have done a good job cornering the market; however, you need to diversify. Bechtel has some excellent talent; still, from my experience, it is more who but not what you know. Your current review practise seems to reflect this as it is presently totally subjective and based on personality traits and absolutely nothing on objective, real work.