Bed Bath & Beyond - Good first job | Glassdoor

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bed, Bath & Beyond was the first place that I worked and my co-workers became like family to me. One thing that I like about it is that for retail, they pay pretty well. They have great customer service and good work ethics.

Cons

Even though they pay well for retail I never got a raise after four years and I wasn't a bad employee by any means (I was often the main cashier and they weren't hesitant to give me other responsibilities).

Advice to Management

Give more raises, especially to people who've been there longer.

Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

1. "An enjoyable but demanding retail experience"

Pros

Work was often varied. Employees always helped each other out. Positive work environment.

Cons

Sometimes slow moving. Training at first wasn't as thorough as it could have been.

"Employees are just cogs in the profit machine."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

Pros

Easy low-wage job. You don't have to think very much, and your breaks are mandatory, so you're guaranteed to get your full lunch break every time.

Cons

The corporate structure is set up to foster an environment in which the employees are cogs in the profit machine. It was very clear that no one cared who you were--the man who trained the batch of fresh employees I was hired with didn't even bother to learn half of our names. They reprimanded us for not lying to the customers--if we didn't sing the praises of any item a customer looked at, we got taken to special re-training sessions with the higher-ups and some old training videos. This was in one of the corporate headquarter stores.

An atmosphere of distrust is cultivated in daily coat/purse checks to ensure no employee steals. Also, posters offering bonuses to employees who reported on our co-workers' bad behavior made each work day feel like a day in Orwell's 1984.