Bed Bath & Beyond - No SUPPORT for management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

"No SUPPORT for management"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Store Managers have creative input into the store, can be actual "Merchants". Great top of the line merchandise, company truly believes in service and does its best to maintain them.

Cons

BBBY is cheap. They are constantly implementing new programs copied from other retailers trying to mimic their successes, but give the stores no support or tools to manage them. It is just something else added on to your day, with no regard for the routines of the store or training for the associates. They then still expect the same standards in the store, but don't understand that something has gotta give. The buying office is a joke, staying in stock is nearly impossible.

The main concern would be lack of regard for it's management. They run the stores as lean as possible, giving no opportunity to train lower management for success. They also will listen to an associates gripe and take their side 99 out of 100 times., which makes it nearly impossible to manage your business.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on your Management! They are the front line and face of your company!

Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

"I feel like I wasted 5 years of my life"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

5 day work week, comp days, you definately get your time off. Salary was good

Cons

Upper management is inconsistant. Views/opinions change daily. You can be a great employee one day and be on the "hit" list the very next day. Opportunities are VERY limited.

Advice to Management

Care about all of your employees, even the newest member of a store.

"Either treat me with more respect or pay me better. Either one."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers (mostly associates because were more down to earth :P )

such a substantial work environment that challenges your versatility on a daily basis. physically and mentally.

opportunity to work and develop relationships with customers

... im really trying to think of pros. im honestly trying very hard. its just so difficult when youre not happy.

Cons

Pay: expect way too much knowledge and work for way too little compensation and recognition

Treatment: treated like a kid who doesn't know what they're doing. I'm so afraid to mess up on something petty because i will get my hours cut. EVERYTIME i leave linens i get asked where I'm going immediately as i step out even if im escorting a customer or using the restroom or even if i just want to look at something because were slow that day. I want to work hard and learn new things and go far with this company but I just don't feel confident after the way they treat me :(

Its true that: department managers play favorites and affect others hours.

No versatility: associates are strictly confined to one department at my store and when they decide they want to put you somewhere else just because they like to delegate orders, you better know what youre doing even though you have no experience in that department and god forbid i can get those product classes they promised me... i know nothing about the products beyond what i experience first hand from looking stupid in front of a customer. -_- ... im not sure how to even work the pager on the phones and its simple stuff like that, that will make you feel stupid and expendable...

Advice to Management

but i go into work each day with a brand new attitude and a new drive to work hard. i research my own product knowledge at home and i put my faith in the understanding of my coworkers when i mess up. i may seem like im full of complaints but im actually full of diligence. It gets exhausting but i do it with a smile because i trust that youre working hard to advance your own company :)