Bed Bath & Beyond - Working or rather slave trading for 1 1/2 years! | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

"Working or rather slave trading for 1 1/2 years!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most other associates are great to work with! Some of the lower level managers are great too! I liked it here when I started, but then common sense took over and I realized that I was no one, just a face being asked to do unrealistic amounts of work!

Cons

Upper management, to be exact, district managers are jerks and don't understand how to speak to people!

Advice to Management

The Huntington, NY store is used as a training store for management to move on! For the most part that's good, because these "trainees" can be real jerks! They come here hoping to make themselves look good to upper management and treat other associates as their whipping boys! They become snitches running to management for every little thing!

Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

"Overall a good company but should pay the staff based on their PERFORMANCE, not just their previous pay scale."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with BBB for years and started as a part time employee. I moved to full time about a year after working there, then moved up the ladder as a department manager and then an assistant manager. I've never seen a store closing or layoffs/downsizing due to economic/financial hardships. Definitely a plus. Most of the managers and employees are great people who end up becoming like family. If you're a manager, you will see the people you work with more than your real family. Opportunity for advancement, although it is seen more often if you start as a department manager vs being a part time or full timer. Flexible schedules for part time employees. Always a challenging work environment.

Cons

Be prepared, ask for the salary you really expect or need, that's all they will pay you! Doesn't matter how much more efficient you are with your job, your experience, or overall performance, what you get hired in at is about what you'll stay at for your employment duration. For anyone that has started from the bottom up, I'm sorry, because I know you are not being payed the same as your counterparts that were hired in from outside of the company. Expect a .5 to 3% pay increase at best per year and an increase of about $3,000 for moving from an assistant to a store manager. High turnover and since they do not have competitive pay there are definintlely some sub par employees who do not pick up their fair share of the work load and then the reliable part timers and full timers have to work that much harder and are held to a higher standard than other associates/managers who are in the same departments and positions.

Advice to Management

All of our communications and actions filter from the top down. So to the CEO's, RVP's and down, give some positive feedback to help encourage all of the BBB staff and then provide guidance/training and solutions to some of the areas needing improvement instead of just telling everyone how much a certain area is sucking pond water.

"Fight for Yourself"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount off everything. Most customers were respectable. I made it fun to work there.

Cons

My location had some of the rudest cashiers. I think they worked there because they lacked formal education and had no choice. Lifting merchandise was difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Simply care about your employees.