Bed Bath & Beyond - Good stable company | Glassdoor

"Good stable company"

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great customer service
Great people
Financially sound

Cons

No incentive for great performance
Hard work
Too many priorities

Advice to Management

Tell employees thank you more

Other Employee Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

"Too many chiefs and not enough indians"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Customer service is top priority (usually)
    -No person is too big to do a job (store level that is)

Cons

-Hours getting slashed to ridiculous levels, can't run a store at "staffing minimums" and when addressed the upper management ignores you
    -Lack of teamwork from management team. If it's in their best interest they get involved. They can be told during a meeting that everyone needs to work towards the same goal but when it comes down to it they find ways to not be able to do something if they don't want to.
    -Too many bad apples in management across the company that are still around.
    -They tend to focus on the harder workers when they make errors than the ones who just exist and continue to not contribute.
    -You don't learn how to become a manager. More like a glorified department manager or associate.
    -Technologically prehistoric. When you come in they tell you that your opinions count and they want to hear from you to help grow the company. Every piece of advice I've given them have all been ideas to dramatically slash downtime and improve customer service. Each time I'm told it won't happen because the ivory tower doesn't take suggestions.
    -Vacations and holidays are counted AGAINST your weekly payroll. Your productivity for the week includes people who aren't even there to help you make sales! You can have two people on vacation (80 hours) that you cannot recover. That's a big chunk of shifts that go unaccounted for!
    -District staffing all contradict each other. Get mixed messages. No communication. Each one will make you stop what you're doing so they can tell you they want this done their way. Only for the next day to have another district staff tell you to stop whatever it is you are doing and do it this way. All decisions should come from the District Manager, period.

Advice to Management

-Open your purse strings. Stores that have struggling sales should not see their hours slashed. Cutting hours only leads to less sales associates on the sales floor. Which leads to less people to help customers. Which leads to lost sales. This isn't new information!
    -Get rid of District Customer Service Managers. Biggest waste of payroll. They do not contribute to the store's productivity at all. Heck, get rid of all District support (except District Managers). They mostly all fall under that category. Most of them refuse to ring on a register, just rather stand there and tell you what you already know.
    -Remember what it was like when you were in a store. Oh wait, back then we had 150-175% more payroll than we do now. SO when you do make those flashback comments, take that to mind.
    -Set realistic expectations. You slash payroll and expect managers to work 12+ hours a day but give them 15-20 hours worth of work to do in a day when we are only supposed to work a 10 hours shift?
    -STOP ORDERING SO MUCH! The company is in a downtrend but we are getting in freight like our company has double digit comps! Don't order from last year with a 30% increase, play it flat. 500 Keurig machines can be ordered for Black Friday at the beginning of November. Not the last week of September!
    -Get real ASNs! An ASN should have the ship date on it. We have no clue when stuff is coming until the day before. Nothing is more embarrassing than telling a customer "we have more on the way, just don't know when it'll be here"
    -Develop the technology to put keyturn transactions on hold! Our lines develop 10x faster because the associate has to wait for a keyturn. But that manager is two customers deep because they are the only coverage on the sales floor and one of them is a very upset customer because of the lack of help. The response I got on that suggestion? "That'll make the managers lazy and less likely to have a sense of urgency to go up for the keyturn because the customer can wait." Brilliant logic there!!

2. "A good retailer that will never be great."

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time

Pros

Operations processes are highly structured and usually well managed. Employees are treated fairly, relatively speaking.

Cons

As the economy took a nose dive so did internal customer service. The company eliminated Department Managers in all but the very highest volume stores, and began relying on part time Sales Associates. The focus for management became managing processes rather than people.

Advice to Management

Leadership is not process driven. The development and welfare of your people is the life's blood of any organization( I learned this in the Marine Corps). If people feel expendable you will not get their best from them, customer service suffers and sales drop. Be the company you pretend to be instead of paying lip service to your people and riding on the process.