Benefitfocus - Solid company, good vision, issues with execution | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Benefitfocus

"Solid company, good vision, issues with execution"

Former Employee - Director, Employer Sales
Former Employee - Director, Employer Sales

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and leadership is visionary. Pay is middle of the road. They've been in rapid growth mode over the last 2 yrs.

Cons

During recent growth, they failed to scale infrastructure to adequately support new customers. CEO is visionary and very 'Steve Jobs' like, but tends to over promise what the minions can deliver.

Advice to Management

Make sure marketing and leadership are better aligned with sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Benefitfocus

1. "One of the best places to work in Charleston"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love being able to work from home whenever I need to, and I love feeling comfortable about my future. I love coming to work with a team who I know will make me laugh every day and who I know values my input. I've only been here for a year, and my manager is always looking toward my next step in the company. Negative Nancys say that the free coffee, veggie trays, alcohol, and social events don't make up for working long hours. Uh...most tech jobs are that demanding. If long hours are upsetting for you, consider twitching fields. Also, you could be working somewhere with the same expectations that *doesn't* offer those perks! You're not going to find anywhere like this in Charleston, and maybe not on the East Coast.

Cons

New employees have a short orientation that doesn't offer much about what it's like to work here (I was lost on company terminology, the different units of the company and how they work together, and who exactly the executive team is aside from Shawn). Also , as BF grows, pre-existing teams are closing ranks and getting snotty about new employees. There's a lot of cattiness about "downstairs vs upstairs employees," "Buiding 1 vs. Building 2," "Bachelors vs. Advanced Degrees," etc. Act your age and tone it down, please.

Advice to Management

As is the norm in this industry, engineers and salespeople are exalted while employees doing other important work (implementation consultants, HR support center workers) aren't offered great salaries. Engineers,developers, and salespeople will always be divas about compensation. They already make a lot, some of them loads. Instead, reward your employees who would be eternally grateful to make the jump from $38,000 to $48,000.

2. "Great experience. Lots of opportunities"

Pros

Flexible schedule, a lot of smart people working there, very cool culture. Nice location so short commute. Lots of opportunity to participate in community and social events.

Cons

Hours can be long. Intense drive to be the best so the workload can be heavy and fast paced. Pay and benefits are not that great, just average. Benefits could be better given it's a benefits technology company.