Bentley Bratcher & Associates - Hostile Environment | Glassdoor

"Hostile Environment"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

The firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

Cons

This is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.

Other Employee Reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

"Lack of management skills, work balance not distributed evenly, lack of respect for employees."

Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best part of my job was an outing to with the firm. All food, drinks and games were paid for. They have a fully stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks and a TV. Lunch was the best part of my day! Pay was reasonable given the amount of work that was expected.

Cons

I was given jobs to do with very little hands on training. And on top of that they provided me with an outdated training manual. The work load to ratio of administrative help was unacceptable. There needs to be some sort of balance. My first week people were asking how it was to work in my position and little did I know what I had gotten myself into. I was apparently the 4th receptionist in less than 9 months. No regards to family life, other than on Fridays when we were able to leave directly at 5pm. Otherwise we were expected to stay until all work was finished. Yes overtime was disclosed but in my defense Monday thru Thursday then would have always been overtime days. Great for when I was a single, unmarried woman without kids. I was even told this is why we don't like to hire people with young children. They enjoy making people squirm, in fact they feed off one another. I wouldn't recommend working in this type of hostile environment. Beware unless you enjoy being unhappy and belittled every day.

Advice to Management

Update your manuals and training materials. Create a trusting, positive, uplifting and happy work environment. After all, we spend more time at work than at home with our families.

"Verbally Abusive"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Company lunches or any after hour events where Greg and Claudia interact like semi-normal human beings. Greg is down to earth and very driven but does need to work on some anger issues, his company is going in the right direction due to his hard work along with his principles. Bruce, Bill, Cecil, Melvin, Tracy and John made coming to work bearable as they are very pleasant. The pay is very competitive and overtime is available during the busy season.

Cons

No training-just given work and then yelled/cursed at if there are any errors because it was not done to "preference". If a task is done properly...Claudia will make sure to find some fault in it (if it even means going back on her initial instructions) Alarming turn around rate. Fellow employees would come up and comment on how they would not wish working with Claudia on their worst enemy and that there were 8 previous women that worked with her that year alone that were no longer with the company. The "HR" is also the office manager AND the owners girlfriend, there is no getting away from her and she twists everything that is relayed to the CEO. Upper management will talk negatively about principles and partners in front of any and all employees that are in the area. Aggressive demeanor.

Advice to Management

Do not question employees why they "took so long" in the restroom if it was under 5 minutes. Boundaries. Do NOT get closer than 5 inches to someone else's face in attempt to intimidate them. Try to refrain from looking a employee "over" (up and down) if their clothes are not designer name. Do NOT get drunk at any work related event and vomit on yourself in front of employees and then spend the next day in the supply closet sleeping it off. Give a little respect to your employees to earn theirs. Do not call employees into your office and tell them that they have to stand and cannot sit as you being to berate them. Do NOT discuss your personal problems with employees that you do not treat as peers because they could have loose lips and let that you would have left your boyfriend a long time ago but he is your "source of income"-word for word.

Employees do not need to be coddled-just provide a health work environment. If employees thrive at other companies and all fail at your company....find the source of the problem.