Bentley Bratcher & Associates - This is a great place to work if you would like learn quickly through self-reliance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

"This is a great place to work if you would like learn quickly through self-reliance"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

I grew thicker skin after working here, and my critical-thinking skills were enhanced because I was forced to learn things on my own. I also had to learn to not take things personally when management corrected my work. I learned to put my feelings aside when feedback was given. My pay was fair based on my experience level.

Cons

Even though I learned to not take things personally at work because of this job, the manner in which feedback is given could use improvement. Management used derisive language to correct employees. I have heard partners scream curse words when things go awry. As a matter of fact, I recall the partner screaming so loudly in the phone that his voice cracked. The work environment is very not as professional as what I would expect for a CPA firm.

I am a generally optimistic person who chooses to not focus on only bad things. I am very loyal and don't change jobs often. I actually like public accounting because it affords the chance to work with clients one-on-one while utilizing technical accounting knowledge. However, not long after working here, I found myself dreading waking up every work day because of the volatile work environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

"Hostile Environment"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

The firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

Cons

This is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.

"Lack of management skills, work balance not distributed evenly, lack of respect for employees."

Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best part of my job was an outing to with the firm. All food, drinks and games were paid for. They have a fully stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks and a TV. Lunch was the best part of my day! Pay was reasonable given the amount of work that was expected.

Cons

I was given jobs to do with very little hands on training. And on top of that they provided me with an outdated training manual. The work load to ratio of administrative help was unacceptable. There needs to be some sort of balance. My first week people were asking how it was to work in my position and little did I know what I had gotten myself into. I was apparently the 4th receptionist in less than 9 months. No regards to family life, other than on Fridays when we were able to leave directly at 5pm. Otherwise we were expected to stay until all work was finished. Yes overtime was disclosed but in my defense Monday thru Thursday then would have always been overtime days. Great for when I was a single, unmarried woman without kids. I was even told this is why we don't like to hire people with young children. They enjoy making people squirm, in fact they feed off one another. I wouldn't recommend working in this type of hostile environment. Beware unless you enjoy being unhappy and belittled every day.

Advice to Management

Update your manuals and training materials. Create a trusting, positive, uplifting and happy work environment. After all, we spend more time at work than at home with our families.