Bert Corona Leadership Institute - Run by a scam artist | Glassdoor
  1. "Run by a scam artist"

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute

Pros

The ethos of the organization is fundamentally good-- it aspires to create leaders out of disenfranchised youths by teaching them about the U.S. political system.

Cons

The CEO, Francisco Lopez, of the BCLI is the opposite of a leader and it is unfortunate that an organization with a positive mandate is managed by him. He exploits his workers and berates anyone that dares to question his dubious activities. In a word, this man is a bully and will go to great lengths to maintain his image and his stronghold over the BCLI. He uses the BCLI's money to fund his own personal expenses... but refuses to pay his employees a reasonable wage. The CEO of the BCLI epitomizes what is absolutely wrong with individuals that hold any shred of power in our society and it is a catastrophic irony that he is the head of a "Leadership Institute."

Advice to Management

Although this man is trained as a lawyer, he is reckless with his contracts and holds no respect for the law, civility, or anyone besides himself. The board MUST undergo a stringent investigation against this man and his activities or the taxpayers' money (yes, the U.S. Government is one of his clients) will continue to be squandered.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-01-24

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unfortunate negative reviews for a great organization -"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization is great. I have worked on and off for this organization for years. The CEO is great and reliable. He is respectful and considerate with ALL employees whether they be males or females. As a female, I am offended by some of the other reviews. It is clear that the reviewers themselves was sexist and not the CEO. Beautiful women can't be smart at the same time?! In the time I worked for BCLI, I learned... so much. You are given opportunity to take your initiative and be your own leader. The CEO gives a platform for ideas to be tested and even scaled up. The CEO and his staff DO NOT lie, cheat, or steal. They work from the goodness of their hearts and sacrifice themselves to help others in need, primarily youth. I applaud the work that I did when I was at BCLI and the work that is still being done.

Cons

There are none that I can really think of. It is unfortunate that all of these lies are being spread.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing and ignore the lies. This is a great movement and I wish you could do more.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-10-18
  2. "Fellowship"

Former Contractor - Senior Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for less than a year

Pros

Pay was decent and location good.

Cons

Environment not great. Too much unhappiness behind the scenes. Trust issues a problem and delegation of work not done effectively.

Advice to Management

Don't always trust your closest person next to you. Sometimes an outsider can manage better. Be open to change. Plus listen with an open mind.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2016-05-19

Discover more reviews about Bert Corona Leadership Institute.