Bessemer Trust Company - Too Political | Glassdoor

"Too Political"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Decent salary, professional work environment, top shelf benefits

Cons

Very political culture that doesn't reward actual competence . Difficult asset allocation models designed more for legacy trust accounts than to fit individual situations. As an account manager you have very little leeway to customize your account management process.

Advice to Management

Become more nimble

Other Employee Reviews for Bessemer Trust Company

"VP CAM in SF Office"

Former Employee - Client Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This is a great job for any FA tired of building a book of business at a conventional Broker/Dealer. You get a nice office in a beautiful building. You don't have to hear other FAs pounding the table all day. In our current economy-- you should be able to sleep better knowing that your clients are at a small, private, well capitalized bank-- even if the investment returns and strategy are generally sub-par compared to the competition . The Peets coffee is always fresh and hot, and it’s basically a SAFE place to work for a meek person without a tongue.

Cons

BEWARE, this organization is very political. After the first few weeks on the job-- I knew my days were numbered. I bit my tongue for as long as I could as my wife was pregnant and needed the benefits. My story there is a long one, lasted about 2 years, but the general cons are this place is run from the top down and senior management doesn't really seem to understand the investment business very well. The Trust business is run very well!!!--- relative to the competition. A new rising star in the company show a lot of promise (GW) on the investment front. This is a private investment company, and its run that way.

Advice to Management

The current employee base is fairly unremarkable. You will forever be struggling to achieve your goals with your current employees and its due primarily to the fact that they are basically automatons. The ones that last are politically savvy survive and advance over the years—but from my 2 year working knowledge—very few Client account managers are any better than paper pushers, nowhere near the best in the business. You will forever be outclassed and outsmarted by Goldman etc for the best accounts. While you have a stable culture (which is very important in the Trust business), the client account teams are very mediocre.

2. "Associate Client Advisor"

I worked at Bessemer Trust Company full-time

Pros

Great place to learn the wealth management business at a firm that maintains its focus on its core business.

Cons

It's a large company so it can be a little tough to be entrepreneurial.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize the client service experience.